Knit Flix

Monday, May 28, 2012

When all else fails...

Ever since the tablet weaving came off the inkle loom, I was flip-flopping about my next project. Tablet weaving, inkle loom weaving, tablet weaving, inkle loom weaving. My mind changed with every youtube video and online reference that I found. Then I realized that my next project wouldn't be my last, so why was I spending so much time trying to decide? Just pick one and get going!

I found this great reference online, How to Weave on the Inkle Loom by Mary M. Atwater, (c) 1941. I skimmed through the PDF and was drawn to the Mexican and Navajo figures. I warped the Inkle loom on Friday evening and then struggled with weaving that night and the following morning. The pattern wasn't coming out right. I examined the chart over and over again and just didn't get it. I was getting tired of weaving and unweaving. Should I have chosen a tablet weaving project instead?

On Saturday morning, I showed the loom and warp to Mutare and realized that I had also made a warping error. Ugh. Okay fine.

I took the whole kit and kaboodle to Spinnity's for the Spin-in on Saturday afternoon and proceeded to fix the warping error. At least I knew how to do that. Then I had a novel idea, why not read Mary Atwater's paper and see if she could help me with the weaving?

When all else fails, read the instructions. Mary Atwater clearly described how to make weave the pattern I chose. Lesson learned.

The first figure is finished, crazy hair and all! How about that?

Inkle woven Mexican motif
Inkle woven Mexican motif
Details on Ravelry


My motif is taller & skinnier than the photos in the PDF because of my yarn choice. The lighter yarn should be thinner. But I like this guy and feel very satisfied to have completed the first of his tribe.

Inkle woven Mexican motif close-up
Inkle woven Mexican motif close-up

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • He looks great! Will the rest of the band feature the same guy?

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/28/2012 8:48 PM  

  • I'm going to put a small geometric motif between the guys, and the guys will alternate in orientation, each one rotated 180 degrees. I just finished crazy hair #2.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/29/2012 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home