Knit Flix

Sunday, August 12, 2018

OMGurumi Simon / Simone

Last month I made Bridget the Elephant for North Tahoe Knits and received a Simon the Sheep kit in return.

Simon the Sheep

Making the pieces didn't take much time at all, but then they all went into a bag. You see, I really, really don't like sewing up stuffed animals. I'd rather set in sleeves and weave in ends than sew an animal together. But this weekend I decided that Simon waited long enough, so I dumped out the pieces and brought up the TOFT UK videos for guidance.

Simon the Sheep

While I was laying out the pieces, I wondered why I made 3 ears. I had to read the pattern again to before I realized that one of the bits was a tail. Oops. I guess it was quite a while since I put Simon away. The sewing didn't take too long. The head, body, and legs all went together like the elephant so that was a repeat of what I had already done. Positioning the ears was key to making Simon look like a lamb and the pattern photo helped with that.

Before too long Simon was assembled, albeit naked and blind.

Simon the Sheep

Next came the fleece. Ugh. It was easy in theory--*chain 8, sl st to body 2 sts away, repeat from *--but in practice it was slow going. The yarn is DK and the hook is 3mm for a firm fabric, but that meant the "sl st to the body" was a pain. Then, the fleece pattern should be somewhat random. Yeah, I don't do random well. Anyway, the fleece took a while and after that was finished I let Simon rest for the night.

It was a conscious decision to not put the eyes on until morning. I think the eyes alone determine how a friendly or cute stuffed animal looks. It's so easy to get the eyes wrong--too high, too low, too slanted, too far apart, or too close together can make a stuffed animal look mean, rat-like, or just plain goofy. As it was, I had to do Simon's eyes twice to get a look that I was happy with.

Simone the Sheep

Overall I thought the project was a success... except... except for one thing. Simon? No. This is not a Simon, this is a Simone. Yes, that's the finishing touch, Simone.

Apparently she likes it too.

Simone the Sheep

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home