Knit Flix

Saturday, December 01, 2007

FO: Pineapple Fleur

In preparation for our Thanksgiving guests we were crazed cleaning house. At one point I opened the sewing cabinet in the guest room and found this--


Rita Weiss crochet patterns

No doubt it was stashed away in a prior white tornado moment since it didn't belong with the serger. Go figure.

A quick trip to Michael's yielded a crochet hook and a ball of crochet cotton and I was off! A week later, the Pineapple Fleur Doily is finished, blocked, and ready to give to my mom for her birthday. It's only fitting since she taught me how to crochet, knit, and sew so many years ago.


Pineapple Fleur


Pineapple Fleur detail

Ravelry
Project details


It's a beauty and Mom really likes it.

But I wish I had an alternate name for a lacy beauty like this... or maybe I need to come to terms with--and embrace--"doily".

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • Wow! It turned out beautiful. I wish I could think of a name for this type of object because I also dislike the term "doily." Maybe if I knew the origin of the word, I'd like it better. Something I'll have to look up.

    I'm glad your Mom liked this great b-day gift. :-)

    By Blogger hopalong682003, at 12/01/2007 9:45 PM  

  • Wow. Really, really pretty!

    By Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel, at 12/02/2007 6:06 AM  

  • It's gorgeous! I can't believe it only took you a week to crochet. That reminds me, I wanted to crochet some snowflakes and this would be the time of year to do it.

    By Blogger Lori, at 12/02/2007 9:11 AM  

  • That really is beautiful!
    If doilies are really that gorgeous, perhaps we do need to embrace the term ;)

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 12/02/2007 10:19 AM  

  • Very pretty! I was taken by surprise by how fun it was to crochet a doily. I got stuck on my second one, though. I need to dig it out and finish it up.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 12/02/2007 1:01 PM  

  • Ahhh, that is really pretty. I am sure that your mom is going to LOVE it!

    By Blogger Lisa, at 12/02/2007 10:43 PM  

  • That is lovely!

    By Blogger Octopus Knits, at 12/03/2007 11:26 AM  

  • Wow! It is beautiful! Congratulations!
    I looked up doily on dictionary dot com and found:
    1. any small, ornamental mat, as of embroidery or lace.
    2. Archaic. a small napkin, as one used during a dessert course.
    Sorry, can't imagine using it on my lap during dessert - 'specially after dropping melted chocolate on my lap last night :( -- Becky

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/03/2007 5:06 PM  

  • Wow, that is breath takingly beautiful Janice. You sure don't do anything half assed! :)

    By Blogger Teenuh, at 12/03/2007 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home