Knit Flix

Saturday, April 05, 2008

DonorsChoose and a Challenge

I saw a story about DonorsChoose.org on the news this morning and it made a lot of sense to me.
What if there were a simple way to provide students with the books, technology, and supplies that they need to learn?

What if people from all walks of life could connect directly with public schools, learn about specific classroom needs, and choose how to help?

DonorsChoose.org makes this possible.

I visited the site and looked through the proposals--there are so many! It's too bad that our tax dollars don't provide enough funds to give teachers what they need. That's not news, but to see how many projects there are brings it home.

Here's the challenge.

There's a teacher at Hoover Elementary School in Redwood City who needs supplies for a 4th grade knitting club. 30 students will be impacted, and they need $502 more for the project to be fully funded.

That's just a little more than $17/student.

Are you interested in putting needles, yarn, and books in the hands of 4th graders and enriching their lives through knitting? If so, join the Knit Flix Challenge and help me help them.

Your donation is tax deductible.

You can read the project proposal by visiting this link and clicking on Arts & Crafts Enrichment - 4th Grade Knitting Club

If you'd rather donate closer to home, visit DonorsChoose.org and see what speaks to you.

Thanks for listening.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • This is a wonderful organization and I am funding in my area. I got 2 big envelops from them a few months ago and each had a letter from the teacher, thank you notes from the children and photos taken by the teacher of the children using the items I funded. It really brought tears to my eyes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/06/2008 6:36 PM  

  • Great idea! I donated, and I'll definitely be on the lookout for more projects to fund this way in the future.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 4/06/2008 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home