Knit Flix

Friday, March 20, 2009

I'm in heaven

Jeff & Zoƫ, you've done it again!

Trader Joe's Pecan Sticky Buns are a favorite in this household, but like many of TJ's items, you never know when they're going to run out... and they ran out about a month ago.

When I saw the recipe for Sticky Pecan Caramel Rolls in Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, I knew I had to give them a try. I had a batch of the Master Recipe in the fridge, so this morning I rolled up my sleeves and started throwing flour around.

We have a box of pecans from R's tree in AZ and he's been shelling them this week. I had more than enough for the rolls.

Because the dough is softer than what I'm used to, I was a little worried about their appearance before rising. It looked like I was going to have 8 blobs of bread... bread with cinnamon, sugar, and pecans inside. Well, that wouldn't be *so* bad, would it?


Before rising

40 min in the oven and they were magically transformed into spiral rolls sitting in a bubbling layer of sugar, butter, and pecans.


Hot out of the oven (and still bubbling!)

Turning them out was easier than I thought.


Turned out (great)

I was going to take a photo of a plated roll, but they were eaten as soon as they were served.


Perfect bread

Will I make them again? Absolutely.

Will I do anything different? My cutting board wasn't large enough to roll the dough to a 1/8"-1/4" thickness, so the spirals are a little thick. They're still tender and tasty, but next time I'll roll the dough out on the kitchen table to get thinner spirals.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Wow, my mouth is completely watering. Yum.

    By Blogger Teenuh, at 3/20/2009 3:23 PM  

  • No frickin' fair. You should put out warnings before putting up a post like that! Here I am, drinking my morning coffee, waiting for breakfast, have not had ANYTHING remotely like a sticky bun in ages...
    sigh.
    Definitely not fair.

    One question though- are these baked in an oven or on the stove in a dutch oven? (keeping my fingers crossed as ovens are not part of most Indian kitchens...)

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 3/20/2009 9:03 PM  

  • OMG. Jealous.

    By Blogger theknitist, at 3/20/2009 11:29 PM  

  • "We have a box of pecans from R's tree in AZ..."

    I love this sentence because it makes it sound like R has a pecan tree in AZ, but that's the ONLY thing he has there. Just a pecan tree. Heh.

    By Blogger Emy, at 3/21/2009 12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home