Knit Flix

Monday, March 22, 2010

Non-GMO seeds - free!

I was poking around on the blogs that I follow and found this post about growing heirloom tomatoes--
Chiot's Run: Heirloom Tomato Seeds from WinterSown.

We enjoyed the heirloom tomatoes from the farmers' market last year and we've been talking about growing some of our own. I probably should have requested the seeds a month earlier, but what the heck?

For the price of 3 first class stamps, I thought I'd get a variety of heirloom tomato seeds. A pretty good deal, right? Little did I know that all this would arrive:


Seeds for the garden

Non-GMO seeds from WinterSown.org clockwise from upper right:
  • Celosia plumosa, Cockscomb
  • Cleome hasslerana, White Sparkle
  • Panicum virgatum, Switchgrass
  • Lucullus, Swiss Chard
  • WinterSown's Own Tomato Blend
  • Calendula officinalis, Calendula mix
  • Oenothera lamarckiana, Evening Primrose
  • Purple Vienna Kohlrabi
  • Tricyrtis hirta, Toad Lily

Swiss Chard, Tomatoes, and Kohlrabi are going to get started in an egg carton. Score!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Calendula flowers are great in a salad! So bright and orange... they don't really taste like anything, but it makes you feel like you are in a swanky restaurant!

    By Blogger Sydney, at 3/23/2010 8:39 AM  

  • My favorite heirloom tomato is "Omar's Lebanese." We bought one of these plants a few years ago from a local nursery and the tomatoes were huge and delicious. They're like the ones you pay $8/pound for at Whole Foods. We canned some of the sauce and ate all of it. I wish I'd saved some seeds because we've never found the plant or seeds in any local store. I think I'm going to order some seeds on line.

    By Blogger Lori, at 3/23/2010 10:17 AM  

  • It's great to plant your own vegetables. I started a vegetable garden last year & love it. Happy planting.

    By Blogger Ann, at 3/23/2010 4:51 PM  

  • Glad you got some great seeds! I have a tons of new heirloom tomatoes I'm trying this year, it's so enjoyable to try new varieties. That's one of the joys of growing your own!

    By Anonymous Chiot's Run, at 4/01/2010 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home