Knit Flix

Sunday, May 23, 2010

What a talented bunch of Makers

Jocelyn put out a call on Ravelry for volunteers to work the TNNA booth at Maker Faire. Volunteering meant teaching how to knit, crochet, cross stitch, and/or needlepoint.

Not having been to Maker Faire before, I thought this would be a great way to get involved *and* get in for free to see what the buzz was all about. I signed up for a knitting slot on Saturday.

The TNNA booth had multiple tables and we started stocking each with needles and yarn. There were 3 flyers for the newbies--an instruction sheet with the basics, a pattern for an iPhone cozy, and a list of LYSs. Anyone and everyone who was interested in learning was welcome and we were hopping! I don't recall how many knitters I released into the wild, but there were a lot. What I loved about the experience was to see how quickly any shred of reluctance disappeared as each learned the motions of the long tail cast-on, the knit stitch, an the purl stitch. I encouraged each to join Ravelry and to check out their LYS for more yarn, needles, instruction, and information about knitting groups.


Learning to knit and crochet

Here's one of my new knitters, obviously pleased with her work and ready to fledge:


A proud knitter

Some lucky crocheters snagged lightsaber hooks. I brought one to my table, but it disappeared before I put it in my bag. Rats.


Lightsaber hook

Speaking of lightsabers, look who rolled by our booth!


R2D2

I only had an hour after my shift before I had to leave, so I walked around to see what the Makers made. I've heard that you need 2 days to see everything and after my quick trip through, I whole heartedly agree. I didn't have time to take much of it in, but I did bring back some images.

Here's a signpost that you'll only see at Maker Faire.


Maker Faire Signpost

This woman was in a booth showcasing Royal typewriters... she's explaining to a curious youngster what a typewriter is and how it was used. Boy, did I feel old. He must have thought that this ancient contraption was akin to a chisel and stone tablet.


Royal awakening

Voila, a cargo container transformed into...


Cargo container sculpture

A desert scene?


Cargo container sculpture

I'm not sure. I could label most of these photos "Something cool but I don't know what it is". I wish I had more time. Next year, for sure.












Blueberry muffin-mobile




Dashboard




Sour Mash Hug Band


Raygun Gothic Rocket Ship




Tesla Stage

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • It's so great to be able to pass on your passion of knitting. I also did the same thing at an event recently & it was great to experience the interest that knitting generates.

    By Blogger Ann, at 5/24/2010 4:40 PM  

  • Great photo essay! Many and varied are the nerds, eh? Fledgling knitters could not have wished for a better instructor.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/24/2010 8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home