Knit Flix

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Fixing an "oops"

We're crazy busy at work again, so of course I started a project. You know, to keep me sane.

Chimney Fire
Chimney Fire

The pattern is Chimney Fire designed by Melissa Goodale of Stick Chick Knits and I'm knitting it in Northampton from Webs.

After trading a few tweets with Mel to confirm the size I should make, I dove in and knit a few rows here and there while waiting for reports and emails. Everything was going smoothly--I even divided the arms & body this week.

Chimney Fire

Can you see it? Can you see the mistake? Here, I'll point it out:

Chimney Fire

The cable crossing at my thumb is supposed to look like the cable crossing at my index finger. Oops. To make it worse, the mistake is ~16 rows back and there are, oh let's just say there are 250 stitches per row. Ack.

I decided to try and drop down to fix the cable. If I messed up, I could always rip it out, but dropping down would be a lot faster. I called on my Twitter & FB friends to wish me luck and did my best to channel YarnHarlot to fix the problem, 'cause you know she's been successful at fixing a cable or two.

Ripping back to the cable row was a little nerve-wracking. So much spaghetti!

Chimney Fire

But re-knitting the cables wasn't too bad. Getting the tension right was a little tricky, but I figured I could adjust it manually after the repair was finished. Hey, there's the missing cable.

Chimney Fire

And once that was done, the rest fell into place. Ugh, the tension will definitely need to be futzed with.

Chimney Fire

As an added bonus, I was able to try the sweater on for the first time today. I think it's the right size. It'll grow a bit with blocking and that should be fine.

Chimney Fire

I got another bonus after fixing the cable--Stephanie replied to my tweet. How cool is that??

Encouragement from YH

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home