Knit Flix

Sunday, August 22, 2004

FO 17: iPod cozy



Actually, it's two, two, two knitting projects in one.

As a FO, it's an iPod cozy. After visiting the Apple Store yesterday and being told by a genius at the Genius Bar that probably none of the cases on the market would fit my iPod (really?!). Hey who am I to doubt a certified genius? So I had to whip out the needles and create something.

But, the iPod cozy doubles as a swatch for the White Buffalo Unspun yarn. The Knitter's Review article warned of color bleeding, but as you can see (maybe), that wasn't a problem. It felted into a nice, firm, thick fabric.

A funny thing happened when I unwrapped the unspun and started to unwind it off the block. I found a loose strand and thought, "Doesn't look that bulky to me." As I pulled it around and around the block, it kept getting stuck under other strands. So, I pulled it through, seemingly untangling it, only to find it underneath yarn a little later. I couldn't possibly knit with it if it wouldn't unwind cleanly.

That's when it hit me--or maybe it was when another cut end popped off the side of the marshmallow. Either way, I realized that the yarn that I was taking off the block was only 1 strand of the 6 stranded yarn. Duh! Once I found all 6 strands, the yarn unwound cleanly.

Bulky? You bet. It's easily 2 stitches per inch with size 15 needles. Yowza.

So, my first felting project took me into the wee hours of the morning. Not knowing what to expect, I followed the instructions of my felting books and checked the progress every 2 minutes. Then it was every 5 minutes. After that, I let it go for 10 minutes at a time.

One hour and 3 changes of water later, I had a lovely felted finished object.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • Absolutely adore the pink and gray together. Absolutely adorable!!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 8/22/2004 9:07 PM  

  • I love it!

    I'm guessing you have one of the first iPods? So cool....
    ~Emy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/2004 11:12 PM  

  • I have always loved pink and grey together! Looks great!

    Did you find it crazy furry? I felted a small swatch of White Buffalo (dark colors) and came out with a small muppet of fur. Thick, though. I could use this as body armor in the inner city, if they wouldn't mock me for all the fur...

    By Blogger Amie, at 8/23/2004 7:19 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 8/23/2004 9:17 AM  

  • Hi Emy. This is for a new iPod. I had an original iPod, but wanted to upgrade. The Genius commented that it takes a while for the 3rd party vendors have to release accessories for the new models, and he thought this iPod had a different form factor than the other ones.

    Arnie: I didn't find it to shed/fur excessively when felting. I used a fine mesh laundry bag, and after an hour of agitating there wasn't any lint to speak of hanging around in the bag or the washer.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 8/23/2004 9:19 AM  

  • Hey Janice, it turned out so awesome that I'm thinking of making one for my SO. Did you say you knit it on 2 circs with #15 needles?

    -Jeni

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/23/2004 11:34 PM  

  • Sorry Amie for the typo.

    Jeni--yes, I used 1 circs, size 15. Actually, I used 2 Denise cords and one pair of size 15 ends, moving them from one cord to another as needed.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 8/23/2004 11:50 PM  

  • Okay, I can't type, it's too late. I used the equivalent of 2 circs to do the small circumference. G'night!

    By Blogger Bogie, at 8/24/2004 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home