Knit Flix

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

FO33: Möbius Scarf

Here's that last Christmas KO, a Möbius Scarf for my father:

Yarn: Lion Brand Microspun, color = black (it looks blue in the photo, but it's actually black)
Needles: #7 circular & a comparable size crochet hook
Pattern: Planet Shoup Original Moebius[sic] Scarf, knit in double moss stitch

For those who are not familiar with a Möbius strip, it was named after German mathematician August F. Möbius who died in 1868. Merriam-Webster has the definition as
: a one-sided surface that is constructed from a rectangle by holding one end fixed, rotating the opposite end through 180 degrees, and joining it to the first end

It's a little tricky knitting this scarf. The first hurdle is to understand how to knit into the bottom of the 150 cast on stitches. That is probably the most time consuming part of this pattern, and that's what I use the crochet hook for. Then comes knitting the first couple of rows--the circular needle is tightly bound to the cast on stitches, it's practically impossible to maneuver them into the proper angles for knitting. I'm fortunate that I didn't break the joins of my Denise needles! Next time, it'll be cheapo Boye metal circs for this project.

But, after a few rows there's enough play to make knitting easier. 25 rows later, you've got a unique scarf that makes everyone say, "How'd you knit that??"

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • Bet your dad loved this prezzy, it looks wonderfully cozy & fun, in an intellectual & manly sort of way. I love that this is textured, not just Moebius (Duh, don't know how to make umlauts on the internet.. have to resort to the spelled out version...) I've never tried one of these & always sorta wanted to. It looks awesome in the solid color you've used, rather than the blue/green colorway I have on hand. Might require a trip to the yarn shop.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 12/30/2004 2:18 PM  

  • I'm planning to do something similar for my dad. Yours look great. But how do you like knitting with LB Microspun? I don't like it ... loops everywhere!

    By Blogger Agnes, at 12/31/2004 7:28 PM  

  • Hi Agnes,

    I really like the finished product that I get with LB Microspun, but knitting with it can be tricky since it splits easily. I'd suggest using blunt tipped needles as opposed to sharper needles, and use smaller sized needles to get a tighter weave. Also, I have to knit slower to make sure I don't split any stitches--frog back if you need to to fix any split stitches.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/01/2005 7:53 AM  

  • Any reversible stitch pattern will work for this scarf. I used a double moss stitch. Two rows of KKPP, followed by two rows of PPKK, repeat.

    If you use a different stitch pattern, you just have to make sure that 2x the total number of stitches cast-on is divisible by the # of stitches in the pattern. For example, the double moss st is a 4 st pattern. The # of stitches cast on = 150, so 2x150 = 300. 300 is divisible by 4, so that works.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/05/2005 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home