Knit Flix

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

A quiet getaway

We're back from a quiet getaway in Asilomar. It was lovely weather in Pacific Grove--sunny, warm, breezy, and clear.

This peaceful retreat was courtesy of my sister's family--last Christmas they gave us 2 nights stay at the Asilomar Conference Center, and we were finally able to fit it into the schedule.

What do you think? Do we look relaxed?

Yesterday we played 18 at Pacific Grove Muni. You hear people call this course the "poor man's Pebble Beach" but at 1/10th the price, I was thinking it was more like the "smart man's Pebble Beach." Of course you don't get the amenities, but you do get wonderful scenic vistas of Monterey. Plus, I've never seen so many deer on a golf course.

This was going to be a photo of the tree and the hanging vegetation, but I ended up framing the 2 deer instead.

On our way back we stopped at Monarch Knitting in Pacific Grove. One look inside the store and SO thought I'd probably be a while. True, true.

I settled on some merino lace weight, 1375yds for less than $16. I also picked up some 3.25mm Inox needles. Now why is it that Addi Turbos come in 3.0mm, but Inox has 2.75mm & 3.25mm? Come on Skacel, stop with the half sizes already.

Anyway, the woman who was helping me offered to wind the lace weight into a ball for me. How could I resist? Better her than me. Besides, they were all set up with a large ball winder that had a mechanism that controlled the tension. Oooooo, ahhhh, merino.

5 Comments:

  • Welcome Home! Gotta love a fireplace. Even in CA! And what a wise man to see the LYS and know you'd "be a while".

    By Blogger Dusa, at 9/28/2005 6:01 PM  

  • Sounds like a truly lovely trip. :)

    (Think that lady would wind my insanely tiny silk yarn for me?)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 9/28/2005 8:39 PM  

  • Oh no! You mean there's an upgrade to the standard ballwinder? Why didn't I know this before the significant 13th anniversary?

    You've got about as much merino as I've got wool silk lace weight. Can't wait to see what you choose to make!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 9/29/2005 2:38 AM  

  • Sounds like a really nice getaway. All toasty by the fireplace. So whatcha gonna make with all that merino?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2005 7:22 AM  

  • Sounds lovely, I love the picture of the deer and the tree, it's really nice. You should send that to them for their brochure, okay maybe they don't want to advertise deer on their greens, but I really wouldn't know as I don't golf. Anyway, I'm rambling, glad you had a nice trip.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/29/2005 11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home