Knit Flix

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Pinch me

Today was the last day of Stitches West 2006. I had a great time this year, taking 2 classes and meeting up with friends every day. And if that was all that happened, it would have been more than enough.

But today, today was unbelievable.

I got there early to pick up a couple of things--2 more beaded scarf kits, 2 balls of Belisa Cashmere, the Latvian Dreams book,

and a couple of hanks of Koigu KPPPM. Then I met up with Jeni, Becky, Bri, Spinnity, Jo, Cindy, Rebecca, Nathania, Lori, and gosh a few other women. We found a big round table to sit at for the 1PM drawing.

Here's where it got surreal... they reached into a drum and pulled the name of the winner of the big cash prize... I heard the announcer say my name. My name. MY NAME?! The table erupted in cheers. I must have looked like a deer in headlights, 'cause that's how I felt.

So I took my ID up to the stage--which everyone thought was quite funny, but my name was spelled incorrectly on my badge. I wasn't going to let a technicality deep six this one. Anyway, before I knew it, this guy was counting large bills into my hand. Oh my. I was smiling ear to ear. Spinnity was in the front row taking photos and Seltsame took a photo too--I probably had a goofy look on my face.

By then it was less than 3 hours before the Marketplace was going to close. I didn't go nuts, but I did buy a few more things. The first stop was Hand Jive Knits where I had to thank Darlene. She's the one who filled me in on the whole Sunday drawing thing. 3 more hanks of Nature's Palette were added to the day's purchases.

I said a quick "Hello" to Kristi & Cookie at the Lacy Knitter's Guild booth and made a beeline back to my favorite Aussie vendor, Belisa Cashmere. A cone of green cashmere to keep the 2 balls of grey company. Don't know what I'm going to knit with it yet but I'll think of something.

Then I headed to Jordana's booth. I've been stopping by her booth every day to visit, but today it was business. She had a Cappuccino Knitter's Satchel ready to go.


Next was Lanaknits Designs. I've been eyeing this hemp cardigan pattern & yarn since last year's show and today was finally the day.


The last item was a shawl pin from Cats & Cobwebs. Jeni had bought one at lunch and it looked perfect with her Clapotis.

I don't know that this will match my Clapotis, but I really liked the color and the design. It's also reversible--it's black on the other side so it'll go with everything.

So I didn't go crazy, but the prize money was definitely an enabler.

What a fantastic day. And having my friends there made it that much more enjoyable. When's SW 2007?


Belisa Cashmere, Koigu KPPPM, Nature's Palette, and scarf kits from Swallow Hill Creations

Labels: , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

  • Congratulations! Chosen to be the winner of the big cash prize!
    Thoroughly enjoyed reading about your pleasant day. LK

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 1:22 AM  

  • wow luck girl!! :)

    By Blogger Pixiepurls, at 2/20/2006 6:38 AM  

  • Oh, it was so exciting to just be sitting at the same table as the person who won! I'm glad you got to go back and get some more cashmere and aren't the shawl pins gorgeous from Cats & Cobwebs?! Btw, that cappucino Jordana satchel suits you to a T! I had such a great time too. Congrats!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 7:26 AM  

  • Congrats on the big win! Very exciting. And your purchases are just great. Look forward to seeing what you end up doing with the cashmere and how you like working the the LaLana.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 8:18 AM  

  • Congrats again! We heard the crowd go wild when you won, but had no idea what it was about. What will you do with the cashmere?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/20/2006 9:29 AM  

  • Congratulations, man! That's so awesome!

    By Blogger Emy, at 2/20/2006 1:15 PM  

  • WOW! Congratulations!

    Nice to know the person who won, as I never feel the odds are in anyone's favor. I'll let the gals at work know - maybe we'll rub some of your yarn for luck ;)

    By Blogger Freecia, at 2/20/2006 1:23 PM  

  • Woohoo! It was certainly your lucky day. Now I can say that the closest I've been to winning a grand prize is that I sat at the same table.

    By Blogger Lori, at 2/20/2006 1:52 PM  

  • So exciting to share your big win yesterday. I have photos! Congratulations, it couldn't have happened to a nicer knitter!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 2/20/2006 2:56 PM  

  • Congratulations! That is amazing. :)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 2/20/2006 3:16 PM  

  • Congratulations! I'm so excited that it's someone I know.

    By Blogger HoJo, at 2/20/2006 4:15 PM  

  • Congratulations. And it's a good thing you brought your ID up. That guy on the podium gave you a hard time before handing all of that cash over! Glad to hear you were able to put it to good use.

    ~ Christina

    By Blogger Christina, at 2/20/2006 6:58 PM  

  • How totally fabulous!! Congratulations! Love seeing pictures of your haul - sounds like a GREAT show!!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 2/20/2006 10:24 PM  

  • Too funny! Unbelievable! Congrats, you deserve the prize. I'm so glad you & your friends had such a great time. BTW, the powder-skiing that day was awesome. Best, big sis.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/21/2006 12:26 PM  

  • Congratulations, Fairy Godknitter! I think we all thought it was as much a treat to watch you win as it would have been to win ourselves. And your new projects look awesome.

    By Blogger Wiz Knitter, at 2/21/2006 3:24 PM  

  • How great to meet you and then see you win! You made great choices with the prize money. Hope to see you again soon...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/22/2006 12:43 PM  

  • Congratulations!

    I see that you got a Jordana Paige Knitter's Satchel that I've been coveting. How do you like it and how do you feel the quality of the bag is?

    By Blogger Michelle, at 3/02/2006 9:38 AM  

  • Just to let you know Stitches West in 2007 is Feb 22-25TH. Same Place!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/24/2006 6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home