Knit Flix

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Buying in bulk

The last time we went to Costco, I wanted to go down the baking/spice aisle. I didn't have delusions of buying 50 lbs of flour, but I was curious to see if I could find something that I could use for bread baking in reasonable quantities.

Score!


Buying in bulk

On the right, a 4 oz jar of active dry yeast that I bought at the grocery store on sale for $6.99, regular price $8.99. It lasted about 6 weeks.

On the left, a 2 lb brick of active dry yeast for less than $4. If I bought 2 lbs of the jars of yeast on sale, that would be $56. $56!!

Apparently you can freeze yeast and it lasts a long time--but even if I only used 4 oz of it, it would still be less than half the retail price of the jar of yeast.

I sure hope I like Red Star as much as I like Fleischmann's. I'll know soon enough.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • My husband used to bake his own bread all the time - and we DID buy flour 50 pounds at a time. It took a ton of space but damn I miss that fresh homemade sourdough1

    By Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel, at 4/30/2009 5:04 AM  

  • Haha - I did buy the 50lb flour a couple months ago. I've frozen some of it and worked through most of the rest of the bag. I haven't tried the yeast and would enjoy hearing about your experience with it.

    By Anonymous Jessica, at 4/30/2009 6:54 AM  

  • I'll be interested to hear if the yeast works well. I'm going to try the Artisan Bread in 5 technique again...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/30/2009 11:46 AM  

  • We use that yeast for our French bread and it seems to work just fine. We keep it in the freezer but transfer some of it to the Fleischmann's jar, which stays in the fridge. We're actually on our second "brick." My husband wants to buy 50 lb bags of flour but I don't know where we'd keep it.

    By Blogger Lori, at 4/30/2009 4:57 PM  

  • Ooh, awesome. Thanks for the tip!

    By Blogger theknitist, at 4/30/2009 9:44 PM  

  • I also buy my yeast in bulk and I don't freeze it, I simply put it in a glass jar and keep in the refrig. It stays perfect and is always ready to measure out. I do buy my flour at Costco and I invested in some clear one gallon plastic containers with screw on lids at Smart and Final. I transfer the flour to them and it stays bug free. It does cut down on the trips to the store if you are making bread all the time. I tend to keep all my dry goods in these containers. Pasta, flour, sugar, cereal, etc. I buy pasta, etc in bulk and it just stores better and I don't have to worry about the packaging breaking open. Never have a problem seeing how much of something we have.

    By Blogger Donura, at 5/01/2009 10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home