Knit Flix

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Organic dining

Tigelleria Organic Restaurant

I found this restaurant through Open Table. It sounded like it had the potential to be delicious, fresh, and different.

The restaurant is small and cozy--reservations are a good idea. The special drink menu had a concoction featuring 209 gin (a huge plus) but unfortunately they were out of 209. Darn. We opted for Cucumber Martinis. It sounded strange yet intriguing and I wasn't sure what to expect. The drink was slightly sweet, but the sweetness didn't linger in the mouth. I couldn't figure it out, but I liked it. Floating on top was a slice of cucumber marinated in gin--if you want to taste it, take a very small bite. IMHO it's not meant to be eaten.

The restaurant is named after Tigelle (tee-jell-ay), the little rounds of bread that they bring to the table. The Tigelle is made to order and served piping hot with little dishes of hummus, tapenade, and a sun-dried tomato spread. Although all 3 were nice, I'd be happy with an extra tapenade in place of the hummus, or maybe just all tapenade. I like my Tigelle with olives.

We started the meal sharing a Mango-Feta salad with baby Arugula, walnuts, and a lovely balsamic, olive oil, honey dressing. It was fresh, fresh, fresh, and the perfect size to get things going.

R had the Polpettone Farcito (Stuffed Meatloaf) which looked impressive. It was good, he enjoyed the different flavors, but it didn't knock his socks off. I wonder how they serve it so each helping has exactly 1 egg? Maybe the pan is marked so they know where to place the eggs and where to cut the portions.


Polpettone Farcito

I had the Spezzatino (Italian Beef Stew). The polenta was smooth and had a really nice flavor, and the stew was exactly what I wanted--hearty, savory, and delicious. I would order this again.


Spezzatino

For dessert, I fought the urge to order Tiramisu and opted for something different, Pesche Melba. It was light on the peaches, but overall it was delicious and just the right size for 2 after the filling meal. Good choice.


Pesche Melba

Coffee accompanied dessert. Funny, I first positioned the espresso in front, but the perspective made the cups look the same size.


Caffè Espresso and Caffè Lungo

Overall we really enjoyed the Tigelleria experience--the food was fresh and delicious and the service was quite good. I agree with the other Open Table diners who consider this a Neighborhood Gem. We'll be back.

Tigelleria Organic Restaurant
76 East Campbell Ave.
Campbell, CA 95008
(408) 884-3808

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home