Knit Flix

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Success?

Maybe.

Maybe it isn't a disaster like last time.


Canned Apple Pie Filling

I got the recipe from Christaface who posted a photo of her canned apple pie filling on Flickr.

In addition using a different recipe, here's what I changed from last time:

  • 1" headspace for the apples, 3/4" headspace after adding the liquid.
  • Used Granny Smith apples in addition to the home grown apples I received from a co-worker (thanks Debra!)
  • Cut thicker apple slices--1/12's.
  • Processed for 20 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

I had one casualty, a jar broke while I was lowering it into the water bath. I suspect it was a combination of a couple of things--the jar and its contents had cooled too much between filling and placing them in the hot water, and that jar probably had a defect. It made a sickening "pop" sound as its contents emptied into the pot. 1 quart, gone.

Anyway, I didn't need to process the jars 3 times like last time and none of the jars were oozing after processing which is a good sign. I'll check the seals tomorrow. If nothing else, these will make a better tastier crisp/cobbler/pie than the last batch.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home