Knit Flix

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Fizzy fĂȘte

I had the pleasure of going to a last minute fizzy party where we all made bath bombs--you know, chunks of stuff that you throw into a bath to create a lovely scented effervescent experience. I'm not much of a bath person, but hey, I might be now.

Station 1

The photo was taken after all the mixing and measuring was over, so by then Station 1 was a bit trashed. There are recognizable boxes of baking soda and corn starch and there's also citric acid and Sherpa Pink Himalayan salt (what?!). Yeah, I know. We had a discussion about what that might mean.

Dry ingredients
Dry ingredients

Each of us measured and mixed the dry ingredients in a bowl and moved to the next step.

Ready for Station 2
Ready for Station 2

Station 2

Would you look at this spread? I was blown away. Scentsational! Using avocado and/or jojoba as a base we added essential oils and emulsified the oils with water.

Essential oils
Essential oils

Cookie demonstrated the technique for mixing the wet with the dry... it involved listening to our bowls.

Mixing demo
Mixing demo

Everything was pretty easy so far.

Station 3

Shaping the bath bombs was the most challenging step. Well, let me take that back. It was more challenging for some than others. Freecia was really good at it--one after another popped out of the mold without a break or a crack.

Shaping
Shaping

Teenuh also had a technique that worked for her and she ended up making extras with everyone's leftovers.

I wasn't as good at making the bombs. More often than not mine would break in half when I tried to removed it from the mold. When I thought I found a technique that worked and tried it on the next one it would break. Again. It was kind of like golf for me--just when I thought I knew what I was doing, I didn't know what I was doing.

Eventually I was able to make 5 lovely bath bombs scented with lavender, vanilla, and ginger.

Fizzy bath bombs
Fizzy bath bombs

Aren't they pretty?

At the end of the evening 7 of us made 38-40 scented bath bombs and my olfactory receptors were totally overloaded (in a good way).

Thanks for the great time Lisa, Freecia, Teenuh, Jen, and Eliza, and thank you so much for hosting and teaching us Cookie, it was fun!

Cheers!
Cheers!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home