Knit Flix

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A small victory

We picked our first Gold Dust Peaches off our tree yesterday. They should ripen nicely in the house, and they smell like peaches! That's a stupid thing to say, but I am happy that we were able to save 2 from the clutches of the furry varmints.

Gold Dust Peaches
Gold Dust Peaches

It's funny that I say they are "our first" peaches because they are also our last peaches of the season. There was only 1 peach left on the peach graft. The squirrels noticed that we picked the peaches and left a calling card for us this morning, a well eaten nectarine in the middle of our deck--a place where they don't normally eat--with bits of fruit strewn around the almost naked pit. To me, it looked a mafioso-type warning for picking the fruit. They took the last peach today and they'll probably sink their teeth into every remaining piece of fruit out there.

Last night we enjoyed the first zucchini from the garden and it was tasty. You can't tell from the photo, but it was probably 6 inches long. We only have one plant this year so we shouldn't be overrun with squash this summer.

8-Ball Zucchini
8-Ball Zucchini

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I have a Fuji apple I planted nineteen years ago. I have gotten one single apple so far, and only because I picked it quite unripe just so as to get the one. I have a three year old plum tree and I don't hold out much hope.

    What I want to do, should do, is what a friend did: he built an enclosure with a gate, a six foot tall fence, and covered top and sides with bird netting and kept his half a dozen fruit trees pruned short to fit in there. Open the gate and go on in and pick whatever you want--but only if you're human.

    By Anonymous AlisonH, at 6/12/2012 9:13 PM  

  • Gorgeous peaches - glad that you managed to keep 2 of them.

    By Blogger Ann, at 6/15/2012 5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home