Knit Flix

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Introducing Manoa

I am happy to announce that the designing drought is officially over! Knitty First Fall 2016 is live and includes my sock pattern, Manoa.

Manoa sock pattern

The origin of these socks started years ago with one instance of the front cable pattern at the base of the shin, but I never finished that thought. So I resurrected the cable motif last year and pulled out all the stops with repeats, a cable pattern above the heel, and cables down the sides. I didn't label it "piquant" for nothing!

The name "Manoa" was inspired by to our hike to Manoa Falls on Oahu--paying attention to details along the way and in the end being rewarded with a beautiful flowing cascade. It fits the design perfectly.

Working out the sizing and repeats took quite a while and thanks to Kate Atherley's technical editing genius, all 3 sizes were consolidated in the the charts.

Manoa sock pattern

The yarn is Lisa Souza's Deluxe Sock! in Keep Tahoe Blue. I love the yarn and the color was a perfect match for the design.

The photos happened at our monthly Spin-in hosted by Spinnity and were taken by her husband Bill Walker. The staging in their newly remodeled Ikea kitchen was sooooo much better than the sad photos I tried to take on my own. Amy, a fellow designer/spinner/weaver/knitter/dyer, brought a beautiful handwoven rug for show & tell and graciously let me use it in the photos. Thanks to everyone who contributed, the finished product looks amazing!

Manoa sock pattern

As always, I had to keep the pattern a secret until it went live, but I posted a photo of ribbing back in November:

I hope you enjoy Manoa. Onward!

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

  • I live close to Manoa - thanks for honoring the valley this way. The pattern is particularly evocative of the waterfall. I'm not normally a sock knitter, but these would be a great reason to become one.

    By Blogger Julia, at 6/27/2016 1:26 PM  

  • Thank you so much Julia. What a lovely comment--I'm glad you like the pattern.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 6/27/2016 4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home