Knit Flix

Sunday, July 18, 2004

2 steps forward, 1 step back

Or is it, 1 step forward, 2 steps back?

The VK Cabled Cardigan has been a real challenge--partly due to an issue with the pattern, and partly due to me not paying attention.

I ripped back about 5 rows last week because I didn't like how some of the cables weren't lying flat. After I re-knit them, they were still puckered a bit which I attributed to my technique. So, I kept knitting.

Being the knitpicker that I am, it kept bothering me. So, I charted out the cable and wouldn't you know it, it was puckering because of the way it's constructed. Ah ha! So I charted and swatched and found a different way of knitting the cable so it lays flat(ter).

Rip rip rip again, back 7 rows this time.

So, I'm knitting away with my new technique, and the cables are looking better. I'm almost back to where I was when I realize that the left front edge looks strange. Oh no, oh no, oh no! I dropped a stitch when I joined a new ball of yarn!

I considered what I could do to fix it, but decided that the best solution would be to do the right thing and rip back.

Rip rip rip again, back 5 rows this time.

Now I'm past the problem cables and have finished that cursed ball of yarn. I've been knitting for days and only have a couple of rows to show for it.

The good thing is, I'm really good at weaving a needle through the work and ripping out rows.  Oh boy.

Here's a look at the mess of cables so far. It needs a good blocking (and flogging).

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home