Knit Flix

Sunday, October 31, 2004

Zig Zag = Yarn Hog

Hey, I've got a day off work, and an extra hour to boot!

Although it feels like I haven't knit much in the last week, I've made a bit of progress on the BBBB


and on Zig Zag.


Zig Zag has greedily consumed 4 balls of yarn and is only 7 inches long. That spells trouble. The finished length of the body is 21 inches, at this rate I'll be through 12 balls of yarn for just the body. There's no way I'll get 2 sleeves out of the remaining 4 balls.

Option 1: Buy more yarn.
Fortunately, there's more yarn available from the same dye lot. If I use Spinnity's estimate for yarn of 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 for the front, back, and sleeves, I'll need at least 2 more balls for the sweater. Call it 3 more for a total of 19.

Option 2: Rethink the double stranding.
Does this sweater really need to be knit double stranded? It feels nice and all, but come on. 2660m of yarn for a lace patterned sweater is a bit excessive, don't you think? Besides, the pattern only called for 14 balls. The other two were for the matching hat.

I think it's time to swatch single stranded and see how it feels. You can already see where this is headed, right?

2 Comments:

  • Zig Zag looks really pretty knitted up. I bet single-stranded it will look wonderful as a spring-time sweater.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 10/31/2004 2:01 PM  

  • I decided to go single as I don't have the guts to wear something this see through without a shirt underneath anyway and I couldn't spend too much on the yarn. For the first half I was worried it wasn't going to drape right, but now as I finish up the front shoulders I'm happy with my decision and the only 4 skeins used so far. That lavender looks beautiful and thanks for the inspiration to keep working on my own.
    Gina Jean

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/11/2005 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home