Knit Flix

Saturday, January 01, 2005

FO 2005-01: A Step Above Socks

The first FO of 2005, A Step Above socks:

See that bit of yarn on the right? That's all that's left of 2-50gm skeins. Whew! Talk about cutting it close.

These would have been finished last year if I didn't decide to re-do the toe on the first sock. The foot was a tad too short, so my toes were feeling cramped in the sock. On the second sock I added 4 rows of stockinette st to the toe before starting the decreases and it felt a lot better, but that meant ripping out and re-knitting the toe on the first sock.

The other pattern alteration I made was to make picking up the heel stitches easier. After knitting the waste yarn rows, I knit 2 rows of stockinette in the sock yarn before continuing with the triangles.

I liked the color of the Wildfoote yarn, but I wasn't thrilled with the varying thickness or the twist of the yarn. I'm tempted to buy some Sock It to Me Collection Colori from Elann to make more of these socks--maybe even a pair for my SO.

Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote, color=Brown Sugar, SY-500
Needles: Crystal Palace 2.5mm bamboo DPNs
Pattern: A Step Above, Knitter's 75 Summer 2004

Related posts:
A Step Above begins
One sock down, one to go

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • Nice socks! I'm still way before heel on the first sock. But sure I'd come back for this when I'm there.
    BTW, thanks for the advice on Microspun.

    By Blogger Agnes, at 1/01/2005 12:53 PM  

  • Happy New Year Bogie! Beautiful socks and way cool pot holder.

    By Blogger Christina, at 1/01/2005 2:04 PM  

  • Those are some wild-lookin' socks, dude. Nice job!!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 1/01/2005 9:28 PM  

  • Woo hoo! They look great! I'm surprised to hear that Wildefoote had varying thickness.. I found it to be very even. But my Wildefoote was probably purchased in 1996 or earlier.

    I've just gotten to the heel of my second ASA sock and I'm cursing that dratted afterthought heel. I'm bringing them with me to SnB on Sunday for a little consultation on the waste yarn section. I'm not totally thrilled with my results there.

    I also agree that the socks felt a little short and needed the extra couple rows of stockinette at the toe.. I'll probably be ripping that first sock back as well. Anyway, congrats on the FO and I can't wait to finish mine!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 1/02/2005 2:39 AM  

  • Your socks turned out great (I saw you working on them at the last meetup)!

    Blessings, good wishes and happiness to you in the new year!

    http://sequink.typepad.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/02/2005 10:14 AM  

  • They look great! :)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 1/02/2005 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home