Knit Flix

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Oooooo, ahhhhh

I had my first Chantico tonight, and boy was it GOOD! I don't think it's like a melted truffle or chocolate bar. It's like a super-rich hot chocolate. Sweet, but not overly sweet. A Chantico with a shot of espresso on the side would be a sinfully rich dessert that would have you jacked for the rest of the night.

But it's not all good with la Chantico. It's $2.65 for 6 oz. That's pretty pricey. DSO and I split one and it was just right for the two of us. Well, okay, I could have finished one by myself, but 3 oz was just enough for me to leave with an "ahhhhh" instead of an "eyuhhhhh". On dietary note, the beverage has a whole milk base--not friendly for non-dairy or lactose-free diets.

Although DSO and I enjoyed our Chantico, I've heard a few people say that it was too sweet and/or too chocolatey for them. To each his own. It's not a drink that I'll order often, but I'll keep it in mind when I'm in the mood for a choco night cap.

BTW, how were people able to try this drink out before today? Was there a sneak-peak at select Starbux stores?

I'm interested to hear Christina's revew to see how it compares with the beverages in Spain.

4 Comments:

  • Man does that look good. No dairy for me though. Bummer.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 1/08/2005 10:09 PM  

  • No idea how they were able to try this last week, but Bill & his work buddy tried it Thursday last week. The price is not all that much more than a froufrou espresso drink & avoids coffee issues, like caffeine, fair trade, songbird habitat destruction... so I'd be willing to pay if it was yummy. I'll have to give it a shot next week.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 1/10/2005 9:41 PM  

  • Dang. I need to find out how to get on the Starbucks "sneak peek" list. I didn't ask what kind of chocolate they use, but I'd imagine there is caffeine in the drink--although certainly not as much as their brewed or espresso drinks. So is Fair Trade friendly to our fine feathered friends? or just the growers?

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/10/2005 10:21 PM  

  • Ok, I FINALLY did it. I went to Starbucks this weekend while I was in Tahoe and tried a Chantico. It was so yummy! It definitely was the same drink I had in Spain. I'm going to have to make it a regular treat. I'm glad they give it to you in very small doses though, because it is very rich.

    By Blogger Christina, at 1/19/2005 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home