Knit Flix

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Alice

Here are the first few inches of Alice.


After speaking with Jeni last week, it sounded like careful swatching was going to be important for this project.

The pattern calls for 23sts & 30rows over 4" with a suggested needle size of US6. Well, 3 needle sizes later I have a washed swatch that is on gauge using US4 needles. The designer must be a very tight knitter because as Jeni pointed out, the ball band on the yarn shows 22sts/4" on US5.

The other tip I received was the few rows of garter st at the bottom did little to prevent it from curling. That might have been fixed with blocking, but why take the chance? So I started the sweater with a provisional cast-on directly onto the cable of a circular needle, then knit a one inch hem. I'm pretty sure that ridge in the photo will become less noticeable with careful blocking.

I have 2-1/4" from the bottom of the hem and I've used 1 of the 8 balls of green Merino Style. Now I'm worried that I traded a potential curling problem for a different problem--running out of yarn.

If you've knit this sweater, I'd be interested to know how much yarn you used.

1 Comments:

  • If you're going to have such deep hems on both body and sleeves, I would get at least one more ball of yarn. The sample (size 38.5) actually used a little over 8 balls of black. I put it down as 8 in the pattern because I had to cut off the fair isle band after the first attempt, wasting that yarn, and because I made the sleeves longer by 2" (monkey arms here). So, 8 balls exactly is probably not going to give you enough for hems.

    I have a Knit Picks free shipping code if you want it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/01/2006 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home