Knit Flix

Thursday, February 23, 2006

2006-04: April


Pattern: April from Swallow Hill Creations
Materials: One 242m spool of 5wt black rayon + 100gm of #6 beads
Needles: Addi Natura 3.0mm; crochet hook

Capturing the iridescense of the beads is not easy, but you can get an idea of what they look like in this photo.

What a quick knit and just in time for the cruise!

It took a few inches to get a rhythm going with the beads, but all went well.

The bit that slowed me down was finding a knot in the spool of rayon. Actually, I encountered 2 knots--the first was while I was winding off the fringe, so I thought the rest of the scarf was safe. But the other night I found another knot. And no, the beads won't slide over a knot.

Transferring the beads past the knot wasn't too bad, as I was able to rig something with the floss threader, the old thread, and the new thread. Then I did a Russian join with a sharp sewing needle and continued. Next time I'll just cut out the knot and do a Russian join there and trim the ends after sliding the beads past the join. That would be a lot faster.

Lifelines were put in every 10 rows (every 5 beaded rows) and they were helpful in catching a couple of dropped stitches. The rayon's pretty slippery so it's easy for those little guys to jump right off the end of your needle.

One more note, the rayon relaxes after knitting and ripping out. So if you have to rip out, you'll see that the reknit sections look a little different than the virgin knit rayon. It's not a big problem as the fringe weighs the ends down so it all looks fine when you're wearing it.

I knit until all the beads were gone and there's this much rayon remaining. (That's a full spool on the left.)


Related posts:
Stitches Marketplace preview
Meet April

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • I really like that scarf - very stylish without looking overly "crafty". LOVE the fringe. JEALOUS about the cruise - that sounds like super-fun!! Have a great weekend!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 2/23/2006 1:26 PM  

  • very very cool. bead knitting sounds so interesting. might have to get the store to teach a class in it.

    By Blogger kat, at 2/23/2006 4:23 PM  

  • Once again you tread the path before me! I'm totally psyched to start mine now. Maybe I can get going during the closing cermonies, when my Knitting Olympics are over. Have a fun trip!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 2/23/2006 5:19 PM  

  • I loved the close-up picture of the scarf. The knots would have annoyed the heck out of me! How's the scarf feel worn? Are the beads heavy? Do they hit you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2006 5:29 PM  

  • Awesome. I can picture it with beads--very stylish.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/23/2006 6:28 PM  

  • Thanks everyone. The beads are cool when you first put it on, then they warm up. I like how the scarf feels; the beads definitely have some weight to them. The rayon is so slick and smooth, I can't stop petting the fringe.

    Hmmm... do the beads hit me? I haven't thrashed around while wearing the scarf (yet). Give me a few days. I'll let you know.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 2/23/2006 9:37 PM  

  • Congratulations on finishing your scarf! Sorry to hear about the knots. The factory we work with is usually very good about this type of thing but they do happen...glad that you found the Russian Join and that it worked for you.
    Linda@swallowhillcreations.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2006 8:49 AM  

  • What a beautiful job you did! Bead knitting is another challenge I'll have to take one day soon, but one step at a time. . . I've got lots of projects to finish first.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2/27/2006 11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home