Knit Flix

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Team Zissou

Update: The pattern for Team Zissou is available here.

We watched the TV broadcast of The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou on the Dec 22nd. We hadn't seen the movie for 3 years, so watching it now with so much knitting in our lives made us cry out, "Team Zissou!" and I had to make a hat for R.

For Christmas.

I thought I had successfully escaped Christmas knitting, but now I was hard pressed to finish a project pronto. The next day and 2 trips to 2 stores later, I had enough red red yarn for 2 hats (after all, 1 person does not a team make).

I searched for a pattern, but most on Ravelry had spiral decreases at the crown. That wasn't quite right for the Steve Zissou hat with the ridiculous nipple at the top of the head. There was one pattern that called for 3 or 4 different sized needles (yes! taper the top by using smaller needles) but accessing that pattern was a bit difficult so I created my own.

After about 6-7 hours of knitting, R had a Steve Zissou hat to wear on Christmas day!

I finished my hat today and made Ned's badge for his hat.


Team Zissou

I'll write up the pattern and post it shortly.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Heh. That hat is excellent.

    I too was a latecomer to the Christmas knitting bandwagon. I decided on Friday afternoon that you know, maybe I ought to make something for (my) R, especially since I really hadn't gotten him anything at all. For some reason, I decided that perhaps he'd like a pair of mittens - he's always commenting that I've made socks before and I should try something new. Never made mittens before, why not make a pair for him?

    The secret, of course, is to use at least worsted weight yarn (e.g., Dream in Color Classy), and a simple pattern (Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns). Finished Christmas Eve, no problem. :)

    By Blogger Emy, at 12/27/2007 7:41 PM  

  • Ack. That is a movie that I still haven't gotten a chance to see and somehow I think they won't have it in Bangalore. Just a hunch there. Well, looks like a fun hat anyway!

    Happy New Year to you and yours!

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 12/27/2007 11:08 PM  

  • I love the hat--the first one I've seen that gets the Steve Zissou version of the hat right! Nice job! Now I'm waiting anxiously for your instructions so I don't have to figure it out on my own. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/12/2008 7:44 AM  

  • Soon, soon! The writing is pretty much done--I just have to take a couple of photos and put it all together. Thanks for commenting!

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/12/2008 7:47 AM  

  • The pattern is posted as a PDF. Get it here:
    http://knitflix.blogspot.com/2008/01/team-zissou-hat-pattern-is-now.html

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/13/2008 6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home