Knit Flix

Thursday, October 09, 2008

The rest of the story

I used to listen to Paul Harvey all the time. Now there's someone who should have a podcast.

And now, for the rest of the story.

At the time that I posted about the California State Fair results here and here, I couldn't talk about one of the pieces that placed, but now I can.

The second place winner in the Any Other Knitted Item Class at the California State Fair 2008 is..........

Baroque!



Yay!!!!!!

Although the day we went to the fair, it wasn't all yippees and yays. I alluded to it in my previous post, but I'll come right out and say it now. I was not happy with how the pieces were displayed. The shawl's unique shape was lost in how it was draped, the cabled cardigan's shoulders were pulled too far forward on the wooden form, distorting its shape, and the socks...

the socks...



Can't see them? I'll zoom in.




Ugh.

I must admit, I am torn. On one hand I am so happy that the pieces placed and definitely don't want to lose sight of that. On top of that, creating the displays must be a difficult task. On the other hand, after the judges do their job the items should be displayed in such a way that the general public can appreciate the skill and care and hard work that went into each and every item. A challenge for sure.

But come on. Terra cotta colored socks on a mauve platform? They're practically invisible. The stitch pattern, the focal point of the socks, is completely lost because they're too far away and flat on the platform. For goodness sake, it looks like someone took them off and threw them on the floor. At least last year the entrelac socks were hanging in a case where you could get up close and personal with them.

I thought I was overreacting--who, me?--but some of my friends who went to the fair or saw the photos shared my sentiments. Their feedback validated first impressions.

So again, I don't want to sound unappreciative but I hope that next year's displays are better... if I'm fortunate enough to place next year. Maybe this post will put the kibosh on that, huh?

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • I went to the fair with a friend. Both of us were very surprised at how KF's items were displayed. Any yes, it looked like the socks were just tossed on the floor. Here's to a much improved display next year. -BD

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/09/2008 7:13 PM  

  • Sock blockers are your friend here, if they allow that sort of thing. The hubby whipped up two pairs of simple blockers for me for my sock entries this year for the Fair. Mine were made out of scrap plywood but you can get foam core stuff from Michael's, etc. that can be cut with a knife if you don't have the tools to work with plywood. All the other sock entries didn't have blockers and were just thrown flat in the display. :(

    By Blogger Melanie, at 10/10/2008 5:29 AM  

  • A good suggestion, but sock blockers are not allowed. "Do not include extra items/props with the item to be judged. These extra items will not be allowed during judging or display. The State Fair will not be responsible for the return of such items."

    By Blogger Bogie, at 10/10/2008 7:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home