Knit Flix

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

At the California State Fair

Picture-heavy post

Last weekend we went to the California State Fair to look at this year's entries--woot!

On our way to the exhibits I had to have a picture taken with this endearing fellow. As a CAL grad, how could I resist an Oski Oscar? *grin*


The Oski

This year's theme is "The California State Fair Goes Hollywood" and they had a backlot and people walking around dressed like movie characters. But I was too interested in seeing the displays to take much notice.

As soon as we walked into Creative Arts building, we saw a huge bear made of drift wood, behind which was the first piece.


Cords and Cables Cardigan
Project details on Ravelry



Cords and Cables Cardigan

Wow, pretty cool, on display at Cal Expo! Not sure I would have pulled the shoulders forward like that. Since you had to look down at the display the shoulder cables would have been easily visible if dead straight on top. But hey, I'm honored to have placed.

Across the aisle and a few steps away was a display with a wedding theme. That's where I found the next piece.


Odette
Project details on Ravelry



Odette

A pretty vignette and a nice combination of items. I wish more of the shape could be visible and it wasn't displayed so low to the ground, but again, I'm honored to have placed--Best in Class, it's quite a thrill!

As we walked around the displays and looked at the beautiful work that was shown, I wondered what the process was for creating the displays. Certainly it must be quite a challenge--the judges do their job and then what? I imagine there's a committee of people who have to take the items, create collections, and tell stories if you will. My thinking is that this committee gets the items blind--without any knowledge of how they placed--and assembles the displays. But that's just a wild guess. I'd be very interested to find out what the process is. Does anyone know?

We found the last piece but I can't show it to you yet. I'll say more when it's time.

From the Creative Arts building we went to the Fine Arts building and here are some highlights. Enjoy!


Knotty Knitters


May Flowers

We Support the Arts
Knotty Knitters
Great ideas are often born out of a chance event. Such is the case with the calendar bras. One of us happened upon a knitting pattern from the 1930's, which set the imagination to work. The idea of the calendar bras was conceived through collaborative brainstorming. Our goal in creating the bras was to show that the artists can work not just in paint and pen, but in yarn and needles. The bras are not meant to shock, but to amuse. Viewing art should be a pleasurable experience as we believe these fiber creations are.



Zanthony Chinese Dragon


Scrap Boot


Junkyard Dawgs


Junkyard Dawgs


Grandpa Mosely

After that we had some lunch and started towards the exit.

This vendor's stand is quintessential "State Fair".

Chicken & Waffles

Carmel apple with nuts. Yum!

Fair treat

When we got home, the ribbons were waiting for us.

2008 Ribbons

Another year, another successful showing at the Fair!

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Wow! You never fail to impress Janice. Congratulations!!!! (and I love the calendar bras...)

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 8/28/2008 6:10 AM  

  • I always knew that sweater was a winner :-). Congrats!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/28/2008 8:06 AM  

  • I saw your knits on display, and I was all, "Ooh, I know her!!" but my husband was not impressed, lol. I thought the judging was rather, uh... different than I expected. It's like the judges knew nothing about knitting difficulty levels. I'm not going into details because I'll end up offending someone, but all three of yours were fantastic, congrats!

    By Blogger Grace, at 8/29/2008 12:19 PM  

  • I love, I love, I love the calendar bras... each and every day of the year!

    Congrats on the ribbons, Janice, and thanks for the photos of the fair. What a great roadtrip, with Chicken! and Waffles! Honk if you love summer!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 8/30/2008 11:34 AM  

  • Congratulations! Your work is always so gorgeous !

    By Blogger Ann, at 9/05/2008 8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home