Knit Flix

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

EZ, you are a genius

Remember this handspun?


Big hank, little hank

Blue Moon Fiber Arts Sheep to Shoe kit in Pink Granite ->
664+ yds / 226 gms 3-ply fingering wt superwash Merino, plus a small hank of 2-ply lace wt for Sam.

I had my mind set on knitting 2 knee-highs at a time on 2 circulars, toe up. I started the socks and got to the gusset increases and then the project went into hibernation. I ran into a problem. The yarn from the center of the ball was noticeably thinner than the yarn from the outside of the ball. Therefore, one sock was noticeably thinner than the other. I thought they'd even out after a while or that it wouldn't/shouldn't bother me, but the fact that the project was temporarily abandoned tells you how successful that was.

Besides, I wasn't in love with the socks. The color changes in the yarn turned out the way I planned, but the patterning of the knitted fabric wasn't blowing me away. Darn.


Ex-sock

Plan B.

There's a little girl who is expected to enter this world this week.

Sweater! Baby Surprise Jacket!

I thought about what yarn to use--the days are getting warmer, so making a newborn size didn't make sense. I had to make a larger sweater, one she could wear later this year and into next. Well, the huge ball of BMFA Pink Granite fit the bill and the garter st BSJ would show off the color changes. But would it look good?

You tell me.


Pink Granite BSJ

I am totally in love with this sweater and the yarn is perfect for it. Does it scream Pink Granite or what? This is my first real BSJ and I have to say what many knitters before me have said, "Elizabeth Zimmermann, you are a genius."

Our phone rang yesterday. Welcome to the world Evelyn! (Honestly, I breathed a sigh of relief when I heard that yes in fact she is a girl.)

The sweater is blocking. Once dry I'll sew up the shoulder seams, finish the icord edging, and sew on buttons. Happy happy joy joy!


Pink Granite BSJ

Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Great use of the yarn and I'm Evelyn's parents will love a good stretchy sweater this winter. Any mods, or is it straight up?

    By Blogger spinnity, at 6/16/2010 12:45 AM  

  • She is a genius! I've finished two of her seamless sweaters and last night I finished calculating the yoke for a third. I thought I'd have to tweak it but just following the pattern blindly gives me the right thing (or close enough). Pretty incredible.

    The cardigan is beautiful (as is your hand dyed fiber).

    By Anonymous seltsame, at 6/16/2010 1:03 PM  

  • Gorgeous & I love the colors - perfect for a girl. I will have to knit one & then find a baby girl to give to.

    By Blogger Ann, at 6/17/2010 4:52 PM  

  • Aaaahhh! That is amazing!
    Another good project for handspun is the Vertex scarf because the direction of the knitting is short-ways on one side and long-ways on the other. I saw you joined the Phatfiber Rav group, there's a KAL thread there.

    By Blogger SpinalCat, at 6/18/2010 7:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home