Knit Flix

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fair


California State Fair 2010

Yes, it's that time of year again, it's time for the California State Fair. Actually, the fair is early this year so if you're planning on going you'd better get a move on because it ends on Sunday. Having it earlier in the summer is nice because it isn't oppressively hot--plus the unseasonably cool weather made walking around pleasant last weekend.

This year R & I went our own way through the Creative Arts building. I took my time looking at all of the displays taking photos along the way, and he moved through a little faster.

When I got about half way through he came back and I asked, "Did you see it?"

He nodded.

I asked apprehensively, "Will I be mad?"

He said, "No."

Whew. I resumed walking and snapping and resisted the urge to have him lead me to it.

I passed by one item after another and finally saw my entry.


Finn-ish socks on display

It's not near anything too large and spectacular like last year, so I think there's a chance that more people will notice this entry.

Winning 2nd place is an honor but it also begs the question, "What took first place?"


2nd Place, Any Other Knitted Item

Then I noticed that the tag for Finn-ish still had it in the "Any Other Knitted Item" class as opposed to what was written on the judges' sheet, "Knitted Wearing Apparel Adult". So which one was correct? We looked for first place in both classes.

We came across this one not too far away--


Lisa Sheaffer
First Place, Any Other Knitted Item
Floral Felted Tote Bag


Hmmm. Okay.

Now to find the First Place Knitted Wearing Apparel. Both of us searched high and low but we didn't see it. We went back and forth scrutinizing all of the blue tags. After my 4th time around the room I was going to give up. R suggested I speak with the woman at the information counter. She didn't know specifics about the entries but had a diagram of what placed and where they were located. Okay. Direction. Direction is good.

Well, I finally figured out what happened. I had seen this first place entry on each trip around the room--


Betty Fryer
First Place, Any Other Knitted Item
Flower Garden Triangle


Two entries marked as first place for Any Other Knitted Item. My guess is that the Flower Garden Triangle is the First Place Knitted Wearing Apparel.

Either way, mystery solved.

Maybe the judges would have been more impressed if I could have shown them the technique used to make the socks.


Knitting the Rovaniemi way

But I didn't see in the rules how supporting material could be submitted with an entry. Oh well. California's a big state and I am very fortunate to have placed again.

Oh, and did I mention that the pattern for Finn-ish is available? I'm just sayin'.

Finn-ish sock pattern
Finn-ish sock pattern, $8.00
buy it now

I'll blog more about the fair soon.

California State Fair
July 14-Aug 1
Cal Expo Fairgrounds
Sacramento, California

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Love your blog and love your entry! 2nd place isn't anything to stick your nose up at! As you said, CA is a BIG state! Congrats girlfriend!!!!! You are one talented gal!

    By Anonymous Debra, at 7/28/2010 2:07 PM  

  • I think your socks are gorgeous. I see a lot of detail work in the tote bag, but it's not to my taste. Congrats on 2nd place and remember, there's always next year.

    By Anonymous Teresa, at 7/28/2010 7:45 PM  

  • U go with "I'm just sayin'!". Congrats you should be proud I know I am!!

    By Anonymous MutarePosts, at 7/28/2010 7:49 PM  

  • Congratulations! Your socks look great & you deserve the win.

    By Blogger Ann, at 7/29/2010 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home