Knit Flix

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Doberman + Knitting = OMG!

Remember this hand-dyed fiber and yarn?


Superwash BFL


First bobbin


400 yds Light Fingering Wt

It was working up beautifully on my trusty 2.25mm dpns.


Bone Dry sock

"was working up beautifully..."

After a quick trip to the store, we came back to a distressing sight (which actually looked worse before I gathered it up for the photo). My heart sank.


Uh oh

Here's the culprit.


Aries

He's a good dog but I had no idea he was so interested in knitting. He took the project out of the ziploc bag, removed all the needles, broke 3 of them and put teeth marks in the other two. Losing the needles was a drag since I don't have another set with me, but even more upsetting was seeing all that lovely handspun in disarray.

We're visiting family so I called yarn stores in the area to see who might have some replacement needles and lucked out--one store in the area had #1 dpns and they happened to be Lantern Moon Rosewood. The dog owner purchased them for me. I told her that wasn't necessary since I should have put the knitting away, but she insisted.


Replacement needles

I'm happy to report that the yarn is rewound and wasn't damaged much--there was one broken ply and it wasn't horribly tangled.


Back in the saddle

Whew, that could have been much worse. Lesson learned.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Yum, handspun yarn,mmmmm. Crunch, crunch, needles, so splintery.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 12/22/2010 11:22 PM  

  • what pretty yarn, the socks will be so lovely! and what a pretty pup. glad the fright was fairly easily remedied and sweet of the dog owner to replace your needles. way to handle the situation with finesse, too!! i'm not sure i could have resisted fondling the fiber, but yummy as it is i might have at least kept my teeth off it. ;)

    By Anonymous sarahlou, at 12/23/2010 6:16 AM  

  • sheesh, that was a close call. I had a heartattack as I was reading this! thanks for the heads-up on "putting stuff up out of reach", which will be added to "keep knitting off the couch/put stuff back in the bags"!

    By Blogger Mutare Posts, at 12/23/2010 9:42 AM  

  • Beautiful handspun, beautiful sock, beautiful needles! Aries looks guilty, and chastened. Your sock toe is perfect, and 2x2 rib socks are my favorite. They're easy and they stay up!

    By Blogger pdxknitterati/MicheleLB, at 12/23/2010 11:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home