Knit Flix

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Introducing Evelyn's No-Sew Blankie, a KAL (with prizes!), and 24x7 Fiber

Evelyn's No-Sew Blankie (ENSB) made its debut this month in the Spring+Summer issue of Knitty. It's a quick and easy knit and is perfect for a handspun yarn or a commercial yarn like Lisa Souza's Superwash Merino. The garter stitch mitered squares show off variegated colorways beautifully.


ENSB in handspun


ENSB in Lisa Souza's Superwash Merino
Free knitting pattern



The origin of ENSB goes back to last summer and a hot pour dyeing project. At the time I was focused on process. I liked the colors in the pot.


Hot pour dyeing

But the resulting bumps were not what I expected. Ahhh, the surprises of the dye pot. At times they're genius and other times, well, they're just surprises. Either way they're always learning experiences.

Anyway, I wasn't sure what to do with the bumps... normally I spin 4 oz and make socks, but maybe I could spin all 8 oz and 3-ply the whole lot to create randomness in the color combos. And maybe I could actually design something with my own handspun. What a novel idea!

Thank goodness for the 2010 Tour de Fleece, it helped me process a lot of fiber in a relatively short period of time.


Potluck - Cobbler singles

I didn't split the fiber before I spun it so the color runs were intentionally long. I wanted the 3-ply color combos to change very slowly throughout the yarn, and that's exactly what I achieved.


Potluck - Cobbler singles

From then on everything fell into place. I had a baby blanket pattern in mind for little Evelyn who was born last year and with just 8 oz of 3-ply it would need to be a car seat blanket. For inspiration, I looked to the Baby Surprise Jacket that I made for her. I loved how how the garter st showed off the yarn and how the double decreases made the garter ridges "turn the corner". Thank you EZ!


Evelyn's Pink Granite BSJ

Mitered squares and garter st squares make up the body of the blanket and the center is worked in the round and the blanket is finished with an applied i-cord border.


ENSB in handspun

After finishing the handspun blanket I searched for a commercially available yarn and Lisa Souza's Superwash Merino turned out to be the just the ticket. She put a hank of Sunny Days in the mail as she headed out to Stitches Midwest and suggested that I swatch with it. I got started and before I knew it the swatch was finished. lol


Lexy: pensive

That's my favorite photo. Isn't Lexy the cutest model ever? Kristi kindly offered to take photos of the blankets with Lexy and they both did a fantastic job. Thank you so much for your patience and tenacity.

I'm very happy with how the pattern turned out and it's getting a good response on Ravelry. There's even a KAL that Ginny of FatCatKnits has started. The photos of the blankies in handspun are making me want to knit another! If you're going to knit ENSB, consider joining the KAL. One of the prizes is a bump of fiber dyed by yours truly.

Last but not least, my handpainted superwash BFL is available in the 24x7 Fiber Shop. Potluck - Cobbler isn't a colorway I'm planning on repeating, but there are other (better) colorways available with more coming soon.


At The Tank SOLD!


7th Veil SOLD!


Emy-licious


Love Me Baby


Salad Days


Keep Me Tied Up

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • "Emy-licious" - love it! :)

    By Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel, at 4/16/2011 7:06 PM  

  • How neat! I'm in the RAV FatCat KAL, even though I already made a baby gift for my cousin, she may get this blanket too. I love the garter stitch, it's so cozy! I think all future babies in my life will be getting one of there.... :)

    By Anonymous Diana, at 4/16/2011 10:23 PM  

  • How did you spin the fiber? Just from the bump onto 3 bobbins? Sweet blanket and baby. Btw "at the tank" is my favorite!

    By Blogger Mutare Posts, at 4/16/2011 10:51 PM  

  • Hi Diana, I hope your cousin and her little one enjoy the blanket as well as all future babies in your life (!). Thank you for making ENSB.

    MP, there were two 4 oz bumps, so I broke off 2/3 of one bump & 2/3 of the other bump. Each piece was about 76 gms and was spun onto its own bobbin. Then I spun the remaining 1/3 from each bump onto the 3rd bobbin. http://www.ravelry.com/people/bogiebogie/stash/24x7-fiber-superwash-bfl-3

    (At The Tank is one of my favorites. Go Sharks!)

    By Blogger Bogie, at 4/17/2011 7:01 AM  

  • Gorgeous blanket. I didn't know you have hand dyed fiber for sale - will have to check it up as I have started spinning.

    By Blogger Ann, at 4/17/2011 6:56 PM  

  • Totally making one of these for my new little guy. I'm thinking in one of the Noro cotton wool blends...

    By Blogger Juls, at 5/09/2011 5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home