Knit Flix

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Runner-up

This year I entered one item to the California State Fair, a finished item that probably has more stitches than the last 2 years' entries combined.

Sanquhar Glove
Sanquhar Glove

More about the Compass Rose Sanquhar Gloves:

  • These gloves were knit using #000 needles (1.5mm in diameter). That's thin.

  • They were started in August 19, 2009 and finished on May 9, 2011. Clearly I wasn't working on them non-stop.

  • The gloves were finished with sewn-in liners to making them warmer and more comfortable to wear.

  • The pattern was designed by Beth Brown-Reinsel, one of my favorite designers and teachers. I was very happy to show her a finished glove at Stitches West this year.

  • The yarn is Elemental Affects, naturally colored wool from Judith MacKenzie.

  • Last but not least, the gloves would have never materialized without Spinnity who gave me the yarn and pattern.


Sanquhar glove and lining
Sanquhar glove and lining

All better
Compass Rose Sanquhar Gloves
Project details on Ravelry


I received my Creative Arts Fiber Art Show Exhibit scorecard in the mail last week. The fact that I didn't blog about it immediately reflects how I felt when I read the results--
With lining too! These glove are very well done. You're in a highly competitive class!!

Honorable Mention

I guess I had more invested in this project than the judges could appreciate, exclamation marks notwithstanding. I know, I know, it's a big state and all that. I'm just lucky they didn't send the gloves back without any sort of placement.

If you're going to the State Fair this year, I hope you'll stop by the Creative Arts Hall to see all the winning entries--as well as my gloves.

Okay, the pity party's over. I'm already planning next year's entry. Something simpler.

Labels: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Congrats on the honorable mention. Do you know what won? A shawl knit of handspun gold? Sheesh!

    By Blogger theknitist, at 6/01/2011 10:38 PM  

  • You did a fantastic job on these -- so sorry the judges didn't have a spot for you on the podium. But you'll give 'em heck next year!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 6/02/2011 9:05 AM  

  • Those are just lovely - they have the look of an antique garment (in a good way). I think Runner Up at the State Fair is pretty impressive as well... you just set your own bar too high!

    By Blogger Alison, at 6/02/2011 10:25 AM  

  • The gloves are fantastic & you should have won the gold medal. Well done.

    By Blogger Ann, at 6/02/2011 5:13 PM  

  • Those gloves are fantastic- I wonder what the winning entries could have been- maybe if your gloves had stroked the judges as they were handling them..LOL They are gold medal winners in my book!

    By Blogger Robin, at 6/03/2011 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home