Knit Flix

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Nupp (rhymes with loop)

Nupp (rhymes with loop) is a design element in Estonian lace that is worked like a bobble--increase 5 or 7 stitches and then purl those stitches together on the next row. I tried knitting a shawl years ago that had nupps and gave up almost immediately when I couldn't figure out how to perform the p7tog. The stitches were too tight.

Fast forward to a few months ago when I pulled The Haapsalu Shawl by Siiri Reimann and Aime Edasi from the bookshelf to admire the stitch patterns, then a few days ago when WonderMike tweeted about nupps. Nupps.

I reviewed this video of Nancy Bush demonstrating how to make a nupp--



Nancy makes it look easy, but of course she is Nancy Bush. Could a mere mortal create a nupp? And could that knitter create a nupp without a crochet hook or other means of assistance?

The answer is yes.


Silvia
Project details on Ravelry


The stitch pattern is Silvia Pattern 2 from The Haapsalu Shawl. The yarn is Fantastic Knitting Zephyr Laceweight 50% Merino 50% Silk in a color called Bottle Green. Haapsalu shawls are traditionally made using a finer 100% wool yarn in a neutral color, so this swatch is "inspired by" Estonian lace.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Nice! How many plies was the yarn u used, and how many plies are traditional?

    By Blogger Mutare Posts, at 11/26/2011 10:56 AM  

  • I love Estonian lace and nupps :-)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7882926@N04/sets/72157626504749589/

    Your blog is very inspirational :-)

    Wish you all the best and happy knitting! Greetings from Estonia!

    By Blogger Rees, at 11/26/2011 12:57 PM  

  • Love the stitch pattern. I don't like knitting nupps so I always replace them with beads.

    By Blogger Ann, at 11/26/2011 5:00 PM  

  • Mutare -- Traditional yarn for a Haapsalu Shawl is 1 or 2 ply and 1100 yds per 100 gms. Zephyr is 2 ply, 630 yards per 56 gms. Keep in mind that the silk weighs less than wool.

    Liina--Thank you so much! I was admiring your blog earlier today. It's very
    kind of you to say my blog is inspirational, given all the beautiful
    pieces you've made.

    I love your Estonian lace.

    Ann--Thank you. I don't like bobbles so I usually just skip them, but I like nupps in lace.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 11/26/2011 8:02 PM  

  • Lovely pattern.Nice job!

    By Anonymous mrcrozer, at 12/16/2011 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home