Knit Flix

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Mondo swatch

Considering my swatches are usually 3"x5" or smaller, this has got to be the largest swatch I've ever made. Any bigger, and it'd be a project.

The swatch is 2 repeats of a flame stitch pattern, the bottom repeat done in US9's and the top repeat in US10's. After blocking and measuring, it's the US9's give me the correct stitch gauge. The row gauge is larger than called for in the pattern, but that should be fine.

It's for the Flame Stitch Cardigan in Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2005. The yarn is Elann's Peruvian Highland Wool in Victorian Violet. I like how it's flame stitch in a cool color. Nice contrast.

I'd feel more comfortable if I had one more skein of the stuff. As it stands, I am slightly short of the yardage called for in the pattern. I figure I can do a few things:

  • Make the sleeves a 1/2 a motif shorter. I think I'd like them better shorter anyway.

  • Start the sweater with a provisional cast on and begin with the flame stitch pattern. Work the ribbing last, and make it shorter if necessary. With the longer row gauge, I might want less ribbing anyway.

  • If all else fails, buy one more skein from Elann, but it'll be from a different dye lot. Maybe do the ribbing with the new yarn--a slight color change would be less noticeable if the stitch pattern changes as well.

It's also my first opportunity to use the Zonta Dressing Wires. If you haven't heard of these, they're stainless steel wires in different lengths and diameters that come in their own handy PVC holder. As you can see, it's easy to get a nice straight edge without using a bazillion pins. The thinner wires are flexible, so you can also create curved edges. The Zonta Wires Project raises funds for international service projects that help improve the status of women around the world.

Maybe with the Zontas, I'll be more inclined to block block block.

7 Comments:

  • If it were me, I would definitely get one ball from Elann. I always choose to feel safe. Just my 2 cents.

    By Blogger Agnes, at 4/07/2005 8:22 AM  

  • So guess what? After I previewed the new VK in your blog and went "Hmmm - not really anything I'd do...", I saw it in the store and picked it up again and realized there were a couple patterns I'd like! So I bought it! I love the tennis sweater - I was thinking it would be a great companion sweater to The Anniversary Sweater in Knitty - similar stitch pattern, without it being too matchy-matchy. And I absolutely ADORE the flame stitch sweater you're swatching. It'll be another fabulous Janice Creation, and I can't wait to see the project pics!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 4/07/2005 9:12 AM  

  • Oh, good - I'm going to make this one, too. Can't wait to see your progress.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/07/2005 9:27 AM  

  • That stitch pattern is beautiful. It definitely won't get boring for you, I bet. I have to agree with Agnes about getting one more ball. But if you do, you're guarranteed to have /way/ more than you need. Who let Murphey write those stupid laws anyways?!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/07/2005 9:39 AM  

  • The stitch pattern looks great!

    By Blogger Abigail, at 4/07/2005 2:30 PM  

  • What a beautiful stitch pattern. If it were me I'd just make shorter sleeves, but that's just me. The sweater will be beautiful. I love the color too.

    ~ Christina

    By Blogger Christina, at 4/07/2005 11:59 PM  

  • Oh, gosh dang it. I'm making that too, and the stitch pattern wasn't working for me. But it's obviously written right, if you're getting it! Must redo, then.... Sigh. Thanks, though.
    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/08/2005 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home