Knit Flix

Monday, July 25, 2005

Caution, hot lava ahead

It's not officially an FO yet. There are plenty of ends to be sewn in and a big ol' button to be purchased and sewn on, but it's almost there.

Hot Lava Cardigan

I followed the pattern, but changed things up as needed.

It's very close fitting, so trying it on regularly before moving on to the next section was key. Trying on the shrug portion wasn't difficult because it stayed on the needles. I knit this on Denise needles, so when it came to trying on the bolero, I started out by adding extensions to the cable to make it long enough to wear. Unfortunately, the cable had too much body so it distorted the shape--that's when I resorted to a lifeline.

But, here's the coolest part--I figured out a lickity split way of transferring stitches to a lifeline using the Denise needles.

Take a coupler that's used to connect 2 Denise cables and thread a thin piece of yarn or cotton line through the 2 holes on one end. Tie a knot to secure the lifeline. Attach the coupler to the cable that's holding your live stitches. Now pull the opposite end of the cable, and Voila! the stitches will be transferred to the lifeline.

I don't have a short cut for putting the stitches back on the needles, but if anyone knows of one, let me know.

Back to the cardi--I used 499 yards, can you believe it? I added a number of rows to the bolero in order for the front to overlap instead of just meet as shown in the pattern. That probably took an addition 50 yds or so.

I like how it turned out, but it's so warm, it'll be a while before I can even consider wearing it.

6 Comments:

  • It looks great! I don't think it's short enough to really be a shrug either. :)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 7/25/2005 10:32 PM  

  • You have a great figure for that cardi! It looks absolutely lovely on you - and I love the colors! Thanks for the tip on making easy lifelines when you're using denise needles. :-)

    By Blogger Ilona, at 7/25/2005 11:12 PM  

  • Janice, you are a hot ticket in your Hot Lava! That is gorgeous! The color of it is awesome - really looks super.

    By Blogger Jenn, at 7/26/2005 10:27 AM  

  • Another hot (almost) FO! And thanks for the Denise Needles lifeline tip.

    ~ Christina

    By Blogger Christina, at 7/26/2005 5:28 PM  

  • Very cool! I mean, hot :) Love that yarn, a great colorway, and a very flattering shape. This pattern has been on my list of possibles for a while...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/27/2005 9:39 AM  

  • Beautiful! Love the style and love the yarn choice!

    bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie O., at 7/30/2005 4:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home