Knit Flix

Thursday, February 02, 2006

More yarn is on its way

How cool is it that Alexandra, the designer of Alice, answered my question about how much yarn is needed for the sweater? Maybe that's a two-parter... how cool is it that Alexandra read my blog AND how cool is it that she answered my question?

Alexandra writes:
If you're going to have such deep hems on both body and sleeves, I would get at least one more ball of yarn. The sample (size 38.5) actually used a little over 8 balls of black. I put it down as 8 in the pattern because I had to cut off the fair isle band after the first attempt, wasting that yarn, and because I made the sleeves longer by 2" (monkey arms here). So, 8 balls exactly is probably not going to give you enough for hems.

Then she offered me a Knit Picks shipping code.

Cool.

Alexandra, thank you for confirming that I need more yarn to cover my hemming alteration. As it turns out, I had placed an order with Knit Picks the same morning I received your answer, but it's nice to know it the money was well spent. To top it off, there's a chance that the yarn will be from the same dye lot, but I won't know that until it arrives. Could I be that lucky?

And thanks to Jeni & Emy for supplementing the order to bump the total over $40. I'm telling you, this internet networking hoo ha is pretty cool.

Here's Alice so far.

2 more inches and I'll be ready to start the Fair Isle section which means it'll get set aside until after my FI class at Stitches West.

5 Comments:

  • wow, you've gotten far on that sweater. I'm only about a dozen rows into mine after about 4 seperate cast-ons. But before I go any further on Alice, I decided to try and finish my retro prep in Malabrigo so I can wear it to Stitches.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/02/2006 9:57 PM  

  • AWESOME. I can't wait to get my book.

    Of course, that means I'll have to show up at SnB or something, huh? ;)

    By Blogger Emy, at 2/02/2006 10:22 PM  

  • Go combined ordering! Can't wait to see how the sweater turns out. I love the color so far.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/03/2006 10:10 AM  

  • This sweater is like an Internet Success Story in itself. Things obtained from the Intarwebs for this project:

    Pattern, yarn, collaboration with other knitters, help on pattern mods from the designer, and combined ordering.

    It's so much more fun knitting in 2006 than it was in 1986!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 2/03/2006 5:41 PM  

  • I am so jealous your are going to Stitches - I went about 10 years ago when it was in Portland Oregon - it was sensorary overload - totally cool.
    I like your Alice sweater - I've added to my future file!
    Knit on

    By Blogger JulieLoves2Knit, at 2/04/2006 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home