Knit Flix

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Lapland Hand Garments

Rovaniemi Mittens with Susanna Hansson!

It's the one class I took at Stitches West this year and I am so happy I took it with Spinnity. I was wanted to learn something new and challenging, and this was just the ticket.

Susanna and Lene Alva traveled to Finland and were introduced to the techniques of Finnish mittens. Samples of traditional styled mittens and their modified versions are shown in the photo below.


They adapted the techniques and created a class around these mittens knit in a very fine gauge.



Rovaniemi Mitten

We practiced on worsted weight yarn, then we chose three colors for our class project, a wristlet.


The wristlet is worked in a Finnish yarn called Satakieli and needles in our class ranged from 000 to 0 in size. I used 00. (I did mention that the technique was adapted to a finer gauge, right?)

Although there are only 3 colors, there are 11 little balls of yarn to keep track of, not to mention the ball of the background color. Yikes! But one of the coolest techniques I learned was how to manage all that yarn without having a tangled mess. In short, it looked like this:

Yarn management

The project as it is being worked looks like this:

Wristlet in progress

And here is the stitch detail of the wristlet.


I love this technique!

And the next time any of you are in Finland would you mind stopping by the Santa Claus Village and picking up some of these mini-mittens for me?

Mini-Rovaniemi mittens

Thanks!

ETA: Original pattern inspired by the Rovaniemi mittens, Finn-ish Socks.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

  • Wow, thank you for the pictures! I just bought the latest Piecework for the article about these mittens, but they don't have any pictures of the butterflies threaded on the big needle, which seemed like the most confusing part!

    By Blogger Laura, at 2/25/2008 3:29 PM  

  • I will love to attend a class like that - it looks like fun & it's great to learn a new technique.

    By Blogger Ann, at 2/27/2008 5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home