Knit Flix

Sunday, November 29, 2009

FO: Chemo Turban

I finished a chemo turban for a friend. This is a very nice hat with a clever design. I'm tempted to make one for myself.


Chemo Turban
Project details on Ravelry


The pattern calls for a sport weight yarn, but I went with worsted. I cast on fewer sts and went with a 4x2 rib instead of a 2x2. One of the last steps is to graft the ends together which was something I wasn't sure how to tackle. I knew it was going to take some thought and quiet time, so yesterday I sat at my kitchen table and dove in.

The first attempt didn't get very far before the ribs weren't lined up... the knits and purls were at least one st off. I ripped out the graft and tried again. It turns out that I didn't pick up all of the sts from the provisional cast-on. Mystery solved.

The second try was successful. When it came to grafting the purl sts, I just did the opposite of what I do when I graft knit sts. Sounds easy, but it took some thought. I was amazed with the results.


Grafted rib

It'll be invisible once it relaxes. How cool is that?

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • I'm sure this gift will be well-loved.
    And what an amazing grafting job! I'm impressed.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2009 3:09 PM  

  • Well done, looks good. Healing thoughts to your friend.
    -big sis

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/29/2009 4:02 PM  

  • Nice! Grafting rib is a pain in the rear but it looks like you conquered it. :)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 11/29/2009 5:04 PM  

  • Gorgeous hat & you did a fantastic job on the grafting. I wish I knew how to knit when my sister was going through chemo.

    By Blogger Ann, at 11/30/2009 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home