Knit Flix

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

In a plain brown wrapper

What does this remind you of? Kitchen twine perhaps?

I feel like I should have rolls of heavy brown paper and packing tape in the shot.

Believe it or not, this is the Merino/Cashmere from Valley Yarns for the Interweave Knits Threepenny Pullover.

You might be wondering what it feels like. I'm wondering too. The yarn has a high oil (I'm assuming it's oil) content so it can be used on machines. So, the yarn needs to be finished, i.e. washed, before you can fully appreciate its wonderful merino-cashmere-ness.

At this point, it's a bit stiff and hard on the hands. It's not quite as bad as twine, but more like string.

Here is the beginning of the moss stitch swatch. Let's hope it's on gauge, as I don't want to swatch-wash too many times.

4 Comments:

  • I swatched with mine last night too, and had the same feelings. Did you get the 2/8? Super-thin, isn't it? I'm knitting it double-stranded.

    I washed my swatch twice, and it's still not as soft as I thought it would be. Maybe one more wash will do it.

    Natalie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/02/2004 6:20 AM  

  • Curious. I can't wait to see it in person and watch it as it progresses. Good Luck!
    -Jeni

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/02/2004 8:09 AM  

  • Very curious. I'm hoping it will bloom and soften and turn into the best bargain you've ever found in the universe! Wonder if using conditioner would soften it up? I know NOTHING about yarn maintenance so I'm just throwing a wild theory out there.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 9/02/2004 11:49 AM  

  • Okay, I've washed it 3 times now, and have passed the swatch around. Everyone agrees that it's not scratchy around the neck at all. I am going to give it one more good wash, and use some conditioner on it and see if that will make it *that* much softer.

    Natalie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/02/2004 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home