Knit Flix

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Swatch-wash: Round 1

I get the feeling that this swatch-wash process for the Valley Yarns 2/8 Merino Wool/Cashmere Blend is not going to be quick.

I'm swatching double stranded with #8 needles in a moss stitch. After one washing, I get 4.3st/in, as opposed to the 5st/in that the pattern calls for. The swatch wasn't completely dry this morning, so I'll measure again tonight and I may wash it again. Clearly I'll need to go down a needle size or two.

The yarn softened up considerably and I don't find it scratchy at all. I think this sweater will really be something if my hands can stand up to the challenge.

One thing I'm a little freaked out about is completely knitting from gauge. I won't be able to tell if the sweater will fit until after it's washed. That's a scary thought.

As far as toting this project around, well, that's not going to happen very often. I've got two cones that are over 1 lb each, and a 3rd cone that is less than a pound. Unless I want to wind this stuff into balls (but why introduce cut ends in the project if I don't have to?), the project's going to stay at home. Maybe I'll pack it in a box for a SnB "show-and-tell" in a couple of weeks.

I've got a question for anyone who has used coned yarn before. Is it a no-no to pull the yarn straight up off the cone? Or are you supposed to unwind the yarn of the cone, physically rotating the cone in the process? I'm unwinding at the moment, but it's a pain. If I pull the yarn straight up off the cone, won't I twist (or untwist) the plys?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home