Knit Flix

Thursday, November 11, 2004

So much for alpaca

*sigh*

Guess what? I'm allergic to alpaca. Figures.

The red flag first popped up last Sunday when Emy brought her oh-so-soft sweater that's knit out of the same yarn to SnB. After petting the WIP for a while, I felt a little scratchy. But, I attributed it to the fact that Emy has a cat... yes, I'm allergic to cats... AND angora... and now alpaca.

So a couple of days later, I took out a skein of the Peruvian Collection Pure Alpaca and of course I got the same scratchy feeling. It's not a severe allergy, I'd describe it as mild. Regardless, I can't use the yarn.

I think I've found a home for the grey, and Ilona said she might be interested in the green if no one here wants it. Hopefully I'll be able to place all the soft cuddly yarn after this week's SnB meeting.

Harumph.

4 Comments:

  • That totally sucks. I have a deep love for alpaca, so I really do feel for you. :(

    Kris
    http://kriscrafts.xaviermusketeer.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/11/2004 11:44 AM  

  • ooh Alpaca! I'm so sorry you're allergic. I stumbled onto your blog via california knitters webring.

    I've been eyeing the elann alpaca for a while, but i'm trying to stick to a yarn diet. If you can't find anyone else, I'd probably be willing to buy the celery off you, but it would break my yarn diet :)

    Also, if you're interested, I started a Bay Area Knitters webring. You can find out more at http://bayareaknitters.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Lori, at 11/11/2004 4:42 PM  

  • I'd be willing to take the celery from you. I bought 6 skeins of it, another 3 would ensure that I'd have enough for whatever I decide to make with it.

    Natalie

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/11/2004 6:24 PM  

  • Hooray, you found a home for your beautiful alpaca! It stinks that you're allergic - but I'm jealous that you can work with all those amazing wools and 90% of them make me itchy and wonder who can WEAR that stuff! Let's hear it for our wonderfully sensitive hides.

    PS - I bought CAMEL yarn today. LIKE BUTTAH. It's for me and me only. More in the blog.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 11/11/2004 9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home