Knit Flix

Sunday, January 09, 2005

New WIP: Cross-Country Chullo


I've been knitting this hat from Winter Knitty for a week so it's not really a new WIP, but it's new to the blog.

The yarn is Jaeger Matchmaker, and I like how it's knitting up. The yarn tends to twist which is annoying, but it's not as bad as the Wildfoote yarn.


I haven't done color work in years, so it's taken me a while to get back into the swing of things. I haven't tried holding a color in each hand yet--at this point things are going well so I may just continue doing what I'm doing.


Turning the flash off shows the texture of the knitting--it's all relatively flat.

As I'm knitting, I'm conscious of keeping the floats loose. In fact, I feel like I'm over compensating, but to my amazement they're not too loose. Gee, maybe that's why my knitting used to pucker in the past?!


Here's a look at the inside.

The problem that I'm running into is when I switch from one needle to the other. I recently figured out that I can line up and straighten out the circs to get the float close to the correct length, but that came after inches of winging it. Also, crossing the strands when switching to a new needle got a bit wonky on some rounds.

The camera doesn't capture it very well. No biggie. I really like how the hat looks, and this'll be the little something that says, "I'm handmade."

8 Comments:

  • Wow, Chullo is looking great! This attention to detail with the floats is really going to serve you well in this project & others. Have you read anything about different ways to pick the yarn up (always over, always under, or one habit for each color)? That was a big topic in the "Sweaters from Camp" book of fair isle patterns. I just wondered if you'd chosen a method and if it was working well.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 1/10/2005 9:44 PM  

  • Well, don't look to close at the wrong side because "always" doesn't apply! LOL I'm not patient with untwisting the yarn, so it's sometimes this way, sometimes that way, but I try to keep things consistent for one or two motifs, then do the opposite for the next one or two to untwist. (Are you cringing?) I'll try "always over" for the next band and see if I can handle it. Thanks for the advice!

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/10/2005 10:26 PM  

  • Looks good, and there's a lot of work shown here, especially if you're working colors from one hand. Next time we meet I can show you the 2 handed method, which automatically takes care of how the floats orient themselves. As E.Zimmermann says about floats, they are rarely (if never) too loose, and they are usually too tight, which is impossible to fix later on. Keep them loose!

    I downloaded this pattern for a future project for myself, too. Great to have you beta-test all these for me!
    --big sis

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/11/2005 8:54 AM  

  • Yeah, it's looking great. I loved doing this hat, I hope that you are enjoying it as well. Will it be for you?

    Johanna
    http://www.jofrog16.motime.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/12/2005 8:15 PM  

  • Chullo is coming along great. When I first saw the pattern I couldn't really get into it...but your color choice has made me see it in a new light. I really like it. :)

    By Blogger Christina, at 1/12/2005 9:15 PM  

  • Wow, that chullo is beautiful!

    By Blogger Kim in Oregon, at 1/13/2005 11:14 AM  

  • Thanks everyone. Yes, Chullo is for me--at least that's the plan right now.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/13/2005 12:07 PM  

  • Fantastic chullo! I know what you mean about the twisting of the wildfoote yarn. I just completed a pair of socks with it but I had to let the yarn untwist after every few rows.

    By Blogger General Ginger, at 1/15/2005 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home