Knit Flix

Sunday, February 13, 2005

The kitchen scale is my friend

I love this thing. Not only is it great for cooking, it's a handy knitting tool. So far I've used it to divide skeins for socks or to find out how much yarn I used for a ___________ ( fill in the blank with sleeve, sweater, sock, or the name of another knitted object).

Now the scale's going to be an invaluable tool for Clapotis. I've read multiple accounts on Knitter's Review Forums of people running out of yarn when knitting this pretty scarf/wrap. But I heard one suggestion which made a lot of sense, to divide the yarn for the various sections--the increase section, the straight section, and the decrease section. The increase & decrease sections will take equal amounts of yarn, and the rest can be used for the straight section.

So, with 12 oz purchased, I've decided to use 2-1/2 oz for the increase section, 2-1/2 oz for the decrease section, and 7 oz for the middle. That should give me a good sized wrap.

Cool!

Where am I? I just finished the increase section as per the pattern instructions and it has consumed 2 oz. But, I want to make the wrap a little wider (ahhh, so that's where the 1/2 oz came from).

Here's what the Brooks Farm Yarn colorway 4P9 looks like:

The yarn knits up like a dream and I really like the colors. Originally I thought this one would be for my friend, but now I don't know. I might just have to knit both Clapotis and then decide which one to keep.

The funny thing about this yarn is the hanks are so large, my ball winder can't handle the whole 270 yds. I can get just about all of it wound, then the ball hits the yarn guide, so I wind the rest by hand. Love it!

One last thing, I'm following Yarn Harlot's advice and am purling the stitch to be dropped, which means no stitch markers are needed. Excellent tip, thank you Stephanie.

6 Comments:

  • A yarn store owner once told me that you actually use more yarn decreasing than increasing. It's very common for people to come in to get more yarn to finish up a project after they had increased until half of their yarn was gone. Might be worth checking in to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/13/2005 8:24 PM  

  • Weight can be handy when you're making a pattern more than once--I make washcloths (I'm actually heavier into soapmaking but the washcloths are a nice time use when I can't soap) so it helps to use the weight when I need to make a batch of washcloths for someone.

    By Blogger Pandora Wilde, at 2/13/2005 8:49 PM  

  • I'm glad Kris posted the above comment! I was going to weigh mine, but I think I'm going to just use two skeins (or just under) for theincrease section, partially because it looks like it's working out that way and partially because my kitchen is being remodelled and I don't have a clue where my scale is.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 2/13/2005 11:08 PM  

  • So pretty! I love how we start projects for other people and then when we really start motorin' through them, we covet them desperately. I can't wait to find the right pattern for my Four Play. (oooh, dirty!)

    By Blogger Ilona, at 2/14/2005 11:28 AM  

  • That colorway is really beautiful. I can't wait to start on mine. I got some LL, L&L in the Tuscany colorway at Stitches. It was expensive, but I haven't really mastered the art of substituting yarns yet. Blech.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2005 11:34 AM  

  • Your clap is gorgeous in the Brooks Farm. I think I will make another in black and in the tans using Four Play. They are the neatest garment!

    By Blogger karenhalloran, at 8/04/2005 7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home