Knit Flix

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Second glove syndrome (SGS)

I've never knit gloves before, but I'd put it right up there with knitting socks. It's a cool thing.

Do I really have second glove syndrome? No. Not yet. Eventhough I was venturing into uncharted territory (ha! a little knitting humor there), the first HFMG came together really fast.

Yarn: Lang JaWoll Sport, color = 81.0050
Needles: Crystal Palace 3mm DPNs
Pattern: Hooray For Me Gloves designed by Marnie MacLean

Marnie's pattern was easy to follow, I highly recommend it.

Of course I couldn't follow it to the letter, not just because I tend to make changes to a pattern, but because the JaWoll Sport sock yarn is, well, sport weight. It took a little math and a little ripping and re-knitting, but it all worked out well. So well in fact that I'll probably make more HFMGs 'cause I don't really like the yarn for socks.

One thing I learned while knitting the glove, lifelines are your friend. Not only for their intended purpose, but to give you a marker for counting rows as well as to give you a sense of security. Trying something to see if it's going to work isn't nearly as scary if you have a lifeline in place.

2 Comments:

  • I really like how the stripes end up on the gloves. Lookit the cute little stripe around the thumb! Very nice!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 2/20/2005 11:19 AM  

  • I liked the tubular cast on and the way the fingers join so well to the body. What a cool project!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 2/20/2005 8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home