Knit Flix

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Twilight zone

Rain. Cats and dogs. That's what we've got in the Bay Area this morning. So maybe being at work all day won't be so bad.

But the real adventure was last night. I didn't get very far on the highway before there was a sea of brake lights ahead of me. There was a steady rain falling so I started to slow down early. Well, before I knew it, the car ahead of me slammed into the car ahead of them. Come on little Beetle, don't fail me now! Brake! Brake! Brake!

No problem. I stopped short of the wreck in front of me.

If you're ever in a situation like that, you'll thank your lucky stars that you're okay and didn't trade paint (or worse) with any other cars. Then, you'll glance in the rear view mirror to see what's happening behind you. It takes a split second for all of this to happen... the sigh of relief, the realization that you and your car are okay, then the glance up.

Years ago there was a comedian who described it as a 8"x2" horror movie. Yes, that's right, I looked up just in time to see a car slam into the back of me.

Great.

So I pull over and the girl (yes, girl. 18 year old girl.) abandons her car in the fast lane and walks quickly towards my car. Oh good, she's concerned and is checking to see how I am. I open the door and look at her as she runs by. Huh?

She ran right up to the folks who were in the 2 cars ahead of me. They were in a lot worse shape--airbags deployed, major front end damage, and those girls were hysterical.

I'm thinking how weird this is. The girl hit me, and she's running up to them. By now, everyone's on their cellphone (including me). So she's up with the group of girls, crying, consoling and unintellible gibberish, she runs back towards me--well, actually towards her car. I yell at her, "Hey, you hit my car!" She acknowledges it and goes about her business.

I was in the twilight zone. But, I finally figured out that she was "with" the parties in the 2 cars ahead of me. They're all friends and were probably going somewhere to celebrate Valentines Day, just like everyone else on the road. She was probably paying more attention to her friends crashing into each other than my car stopped in front of her.

To make a long story short, I'm okay. My car has some damage to the back bumper and tail light. The accident ahead of me involved 4 cars. We had 3 ambulances, 1 paramedic unit, 2 fire engines, 2 tow trucks, and 4 CHP units there. What a scene. No visible injuries to any of the parties, but 2 girls went away in ambulances, one immobiled on a backboard and one on a gurney. 2 cars were towed away. Traffic was probably backed up for miles in both directions.

Happy freakin' Valentines Day.

10 Comments:

  • That's some suckage drama right there, but glad you and everyone involved are OK!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2005 10:15 AM  

  • Ugh. CHILDREN. :P

    Glad to hear you're okay though.

    By Blogger Emy, at 2/15/2005 10:54 AM  

  • Also, this picture wasn't taken yesterday, but back in January. This is the console for Ray's weather station on that particular day, and check out the forecast line at the bottom:

    http://tera.teralink.com/~rayk/gallery/weatherstation/IMG_3176

    Hehehe....

    By Blogger Emy, at 2/15/2005 11:03 AM  

  • What a night for Valentine's Day! But most important is there is no serious injury. Glad to know that you are okay. Take care.

    By Blogger Agnes, at 2/15/2005 11:12 AM  

  • I'm glad you were ok, but man, what a horrible situation! Sorry it made for a craptastic Valentine's day.

    By Blogger Lori, at 2/15/2005 11:14 AM  

  • Good one Emy! lol

    Thanks for all the nice thoughts everyone.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 2/15/2005 11:15 AM  

  • So glad you didn't get it worse. It's pretty understandable why she didn't stop in time tho. Poor little beetle. I got rear-ended, just after Christmas in rain like this. Ick.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/15/2005 3:29 PM  

  • Yikes! Happy freakin' Valentine's Day indeed! I'm glad to hear you came out unscathed, even if your beetle wasn't.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 2/15/2005 9:40 PM  

  • What?? how come no one tells me these things?? This must have been right after we talked on Monday. And here I was thinking only of knitting!

    I'm so glad to hear you are OK. Sounds like a terrible scene. I hope you are psychically recovered!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 2/17/2005 2:52 PM  

  • Yup, pretty much right after we talked. I should have chatted with you longer, I could have avoided the entire situation! C'est la vie.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 2/17/2005 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home