Knit Flix

Monday, April 11, 2005

Flame on, flame off, flame on, and a pattern correction

In other words: stitch, rip, stitch.

After making the mondo swatch for the VK Flame Stitch Cardigan, I cast on and was merrily knitting away.

Interestingly enough, the pattern begins at the flame stitch pattern and the ribbing is added later. Hmmmm... sounds like a familiar approach. And, the scalloped edge at the bottom of the flame stitch pattern isn't supposed to be blocked straight across. Instead, the gaps are filled in with crochet. Clearly I didn't read the pattern very carefully before starting this project.

Anyway, I got far enough to bind off for the armholes when I decided to check for size.

Oh joy, it's too small.

Was it a momentary lapse of sanity that drove me to cast on one size smaller than what I needed? Now that I think about it, it was probably the VK Cable Cardigan experience that influenced my (wrong) decision. That cable sweater grew (and grew) when blocked. So eventhough I wet blocked the flame stitch swatch, I still overcompensated by going one size smaller.

Yesterday morning approximately 35rows x 185st of flame stitch turned into a big pile of squiggly yarn.

No big deal. Knitting from the top of the ribbing to the armholes is only 5 inches, so I'm back on track and have about 10 rows to go before I'm binding off for the armholes again.



Here's a pattern correction that hasn't appeared on the Vogue Knitting site yet:
  • In the section called, "Dividing for Back and Fronts", the pattern instructs you to "P47(51,56)". You don't want to do that. Instead, work 47(51,56) in the established pattern.

Oh, and I bought more yarn for this sweater from Elann today, along with the last 2 skeins of "Pink Power" Patons Kroy sock yarn they had in stock.

Flame on!

3 Comments:

  • Hi! I've been enjoying reading for a while, and thought I'd drop a note to say hello.
    Love the way your Flame looks -- have you considered making the body a bit longer and leaving the scallop on the bottom edge to frame the body and sleeves, rather than ribbing? It looks so beautiful, and would make a feminine alternative to the pattern as written. Just another suggestion, I'm sure it will be great either way.

    Good luck, I'll be watching for the finished piece!
    Lisa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/12/2005 6:17 AM  

  • Heya, I *adore* the color you chose for this. So sorry you had to rip back so far! It's going to be beautiful.

    By Blogger goodkarma, at 4/12/2005 8:51 AM  

  • The sweater's looking good. Btw, forget what I said on Sunday about not being able to get the RSS feed for your site through Firefox. Something must have changed for the better since the last time I tried and now it works, yay! Knitflix all day, everyday!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/12/2005 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home