Knit Flix

Monday, May 09, 2005

VK Flame St Cardi Pattern Correction: Sleeve Cap Shaping


Flame Stitch Cardigan #9, Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2005, Size = M (37-1/2")

It's coming together! (A minor miracle given the issues with the pattern.)

The ribbing is going slow because I've decided to knit it Continental. Probably not the best decision since I don't have that much experience knitting that way, but there's no turning back now.

On to the correction.

Are you all just as tired of reading these as I am writing them? Harumph.

Surprise, surprise, the sleeve cap shaping stitch and row count isn't correct as written in the pattern. Here's what the pattern says. I've provided a stitch count in parenthesis:

Starting with 68 st, bind off 3 st at the beginning of the next 4 rows, (56st)
2 st at the beg of next 2 rows, (52st)
*1 st at beg of next 2 rows, 2 st at beg of next 2 rows*; rep between *'s 4 times--18 st (22 st)

I interpreted the last instruction to mean "rep between *'s 4 more times." To take care of the extra 4 sts, bind off 2 st at the beginning of the next 2 rows. It's only 2 more rows, and you end up with 18 st.

Although the photo above doesn't show it, I sewed in one of the sleeves and it fits like a charm. I got that goin' for me.

11 Comments:

  • I can't believe how many corrections/modifications you're having to make for this pattern! Fortunately, it's gorgeous, so it will be worth it in the end. I love the color you're using, too. :)

    By Blogger goodkarma, at 5/09/2005 11:20 PM  

  • Thank you so much for all the prep work you are doing for us Flame stitchers. I am printing your corrections out as you go. Sorry it had to be you, but more happy it wasn't me. Is thatbad behavior to admit? ;-)
    chrisknits

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/10/2005 7:04 AM  

  • Not at all. I'm glad that someone is going to benefit from these postings.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/10/2005 9:12 AM  

  • Thank you for posting all your modifications. I finished the divide for front and back and I'm tackling the neck and armhole decrease. I was able to fudge when there are too many stitches (I just k3tog at the end) and it looks fine. But what did you do when there are too few stitches? I tried doing increases in the end, but the armhole looks wonky. It was curving nicely one way and then where I did the increases it started to curve the other way.

    By Blogger Angela M, at 5/12/2005 2:19 PM  

  • When there are too few stitches, I'd M1. But you have to look at how the pattern repeats and figure out if you M1 at the beginning of the row, at the end of the row, or both.

    Same with decreases--you might need to decrease at the beginning of the row, at the end, or both.

    Take a look a fill pattern repeat. Notice how the increases are cancelled out with the same number of decreases. Now look at the partial pattern that you're working on. What's missing? Increases or decreases? At the beginning of the row or at the end?

    Putting the increases & decreases in the right place will keep the pattern from leaning or shifting.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/12/2005 3:00 PM  

  • Sorry, the 3rd paragraph should begin, "Take a look a full pattern repeat..."

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/12/2005 3:02 PM  

  • Ah... I was adding the increases at the end. I just thought since I'm decreasing at the beginning of the row that it would be silly to M1 there too. I guess not. I'll give that a try. Thank you so much!

    By Blogger Angela M, at 5/12/2005 6:02 PM  

  • Sorry to bother you again, but I'm stuck stuck stuck. I doing okay with the increases (and compensating increases & decreases) but I'm confused about the total number of decreases in the right front.
    It says: BO 10 stitches for neck shaping for first 10 RS. (-10 sts)
    Then BO total 7 stitches for armhole (-7 sts)
    *BO 1 st of next RS row, then BO 2 sts for 2 RS rows * thats -5 sts right? Then repeat 3 more times, which is 4 times total. -5*4=20 sts
    So, how do we end up with 20 sts? I started with 49 sts. 49-10-7-20=12.
    What am I missing here? I've gone thru the pattern 5-6 times, but can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help... :)

    By Blogger Angela M, at 5/14/2005 7:22 AM  

  • Those bits sure look nice! What a sweet rib-hugging sweater this is going to be. Can't wait to see it finished.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/16/2005 7:01 PM  

  • Hi knitty knit knit,

    Sorry for the delayed response, but I was out of town and away from the pattern and my notes. I believe you're right, there's yet another problem with the pattern.

    I ended up doing the 5st decrease (the instructions between the *'s) a total of two times, followed by a BO2 on the next RS row.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/17/2005 9:32 PM  

  • Thank you, thank you... I'll keep chugging along. BTW, your cardigan looks great!

    By Blogger Angela M, at 5/19/2005 11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home