Knit Flix

Friday, May 13, 2005

When does 2x2 rib not equal *k2, p2*?

The pain is almost over.

All of the pieces of the VK Flame Stitch Cardigan are finished. All that remains is the sewing. Will everything fit together? We'll see!

There's a possibility that the bottom ribbing is too long for the buttonband. If that happens, I'll rip out some of the ribbing to make it fit.

Here's something funny. I had a momentary lapse of sanity the other night. I was convinced that the 6" of ribbing had to be ripped out and reknit. The persnickity side of me [and which side isn't persnickity? I'm not answering that!] was not thrilled with how it looked--not smooth, rowing out in spots, Russian join sticking out like a sore thumb, etc., etc.. I was blaming it on my lack of proficiency doing the Continental. Of course it wouldn't be as easy as ripping out and reknitting. I'd have to wind the yarn into hanks and straighten it first.

So last night I got out the ribbing and a big stainless steel bowl and was about to make a big pile of ramen. But wait, let me compare it with the buttonband/collar ribbing. Well lookie here, there's just as much unevenness in my English knitting as there is in my Continental knitting.

The good news: I'm not going to reknit the ribbing.

The bad news: My 2x2 ribbing sucks.

Oh and by the way, if you're knitting this sweater, don't do what I did. I read "Knit in 2x2 rib pattern" and translated that to mean *k2, p2* across the row. WRONG. There are instructions for the 2x2 rib at the beginning of the pattern. Who knew? Obviously not me. Their 2x2 rib has a k1 selvedge at each end. As I was binding off, the instructions referred to this mysterious selvedge stitch. I immediately thought it was another pattern mistake. Luckily I saw it was user error before I fired off yet another email to VK.

4 Comments:

  • Bummer. Sorry to hear you're having such trouble with this pattern. I think I would have sent it to the doomed project pile weeks ago, but you've toughed it out. Good for you! At least it's nearly done though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/13/2005 6:10 PM  

  • I just want to say "thank you." I've learned the hard way about starting projects, only to find the patterns suck. Now I research each one. This sweater was next on my list, and you have done so much work for all of us who love it and want to knit it.
    Yours is going to be gorgeous, and I love the color. Great job! I can't wait to see it finished.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/15/2005 4:54 PM  

  • So glad to hear you don't have to make ramen of your ribbing! I'll have to quiz you about the metal bowl & the straightening.. see how your plan matches mine. I've got a whole vest to ramenize this month.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/16/2005 7:03 PM  

  • Ramanizing sounds so painful. I don't know if I could do it. Flame Stitch Cardigan looks beautiful. Nice work...as usual. ;)

    ~ Christina

    By Blogger Christina, at 5/16/2005 10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home