Knit Flix

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Ivy Leaf lace in Tencel

The 8/2 Tencel arrived from Webs a couple of days ago. Here's the Mountain Stream colorway.

Variegated 8/2 Tencel

I've been swatching and swatching the Hunter Green in an attempt to find the right pattern.

What is Tencel? It is the trade name for the generic fiber Lyocell. It's a natural, man-made fiber made from the natural cellulose found in wood pulp. Produced in a non-chemical manner, the fiber is economical in its use of energy and natural resources, and is fully biodegradable.

This yarn is rayon-like, lace weight, smooth, a bit slippery, and has a definite sheen. It doesn't stretch at all, but it doesn't hurt my hands when I'm knitting it like cotton does. I find that its smoothness lends itself to ripping up and reknitting quite nicely--not that I couldn't throw away a bit given I've got miles of the stuff. All in all I think it was a fantastic deal and am very happy with the colors that I chose.

The first swatch I started was Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's aka Yarn Harlot's Snowdrop Shawl using 3.75mm needles. The needles I chose were too large so it didn't show off the design well.

[I still can't believe I couldn't get a few hours off from work to see her when the book-book-book tour came to Berkeley. Harumph.]

But I decided that I wanted to knit a rectangular shawl for my next project, so I moved on to Nancy Bush's Madli's Shawl from Interweave Knits, Summer 2004. After my first unsuccessful attempt to knit a nupp (purling 7 sts together), I opted for Cookie's solution and just didn't do them. But after a few repeats I felt that it needed something more, so I grabbed my smallest crochet hook and successfully completed a nupp. It looked better with the bobbliness, but I couldn't see making a bunch of those throughout the shawl.

Barbara Walker to the rescue. This is one of the reasons why I bought A Second Treasury of Knitting at Commuknity yesterday.

Ivy Leaf lace

I thought the Hunter Green was perfect for Ivy leaves. I'm going to complete one more repeat and then switch to smaller needles to see if I like that better.

6 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 8/07/2005 12:14 PM  

  • 1. Love the leaf lace. I adore Barbara Walker and her books - they help me feel more creative.
    2. Jealous that you got to go hang out at CommuKnity. When I dropped in I didn't give myself enough time to do a multiple-trip-circle-and-fondle. Emy is so lucky to get to work there!
    3. Forgot what my third point was.
    4. Confession - I much prefer rectangular shawls to triangular shawls. I don't like an article of clothing to specifically point out my butt to people behind me.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 8/07/2005 12:17 PM  

  • You are pure evil, tempting me with another non-wool yarn that I don't need!

    (Seriously, though, I would love a chance to see this yarn in person.)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 8/07/2005 2:03 PM  

  • Go get 'em, designer gal! What fun to be listening to yarn and making creative choices. Woo!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 8/09/2005 10:40 AM  

  • The Leaf Lace swatch is just beautiful - what a good creative decision you're making! and the yarn/color is perfect for that pattern. Thanks for the idea.

    By Blogger KarenK, at 8/10/2005 1:47 PM  

  • Very pretty! I love the green and it's one of my favorite lace motifs!

    By Blogger CAT, at 3/05/2009 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home