Knit Flix

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Strike one, strike two, I give up

After hearing that Inox greys are better for lace knitting than Addi Turbos, I was thrilled to buy a couple Inox 3.25mm needles during our visit to Pacific Grove last month.

Unfortunately, I didn't inspect the needles closely before leaving the store. A week after bringing them home, I noticed this:


(I can hear half of you saying "what am I looking at?", while the other half is saying "stickler".)

Well, if I bought these needles specifically for the tips, why would I want the needle on the left that has a tip that's as blunt (if not blunter(?)) than an Addi Turbo?

So I mailed them back to the store where I bought them, labeled which one I wanted to keep and asked them to send a replacement with a tip that closely matched it. They were very accommodating and sent the needles back right away.

Well, the new needle was WAY pointier than the one I said I wanted to keep, and it had a groove/notch in the cable. Huh.

Since when are mass produced needles so inconsistent? Was it just my good luck that I found 3 needles with such different shaped tips?

With that, I sent both needles back and am waiting for a refund. I still want some good lace knitting needles and if I decide try Inox again, I'm going to have to pick them out myself.

Sometimes I'm too picky for my own good.

8 Comments:

  • I don't think you are being picky at all. I think it would have made a difference.

    By Blogger Heather, at 10/20/2005 8:41 PM  

  • Uncommon threads sells Inox needles, go through and be picky!

    -Kristi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/20/2005 8:48 PM  

  • Aero needles are identical to Inox Grays and made by the same company. I have lots of Aeros and love them, great points and cheaper than Inox!! (even tho its the exact same needle!) I get mine thru www.beehivewool.com and have never been dissatisfied :)

    Hope this helps!

    By Blogger Debi, at 10/20/2005 9:46 PM  

  • My preference is the Circulon all nylon needles. They are discontinued but you can often find them on eBay and the swap lists. They have good points and grab the yarn well (but not sticky) so that you have more control with lace knitting IMHO.

    By Blogger Joan, at 10/21/2005 3:14 AM  

  • That doesn't sound too picky to me at all - those variations just aren't acceptable.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/21/2005 5:21 PM  

  • been there done that i have had poor in the aeros too ,we need to all be picky with the points and down the shafts of the needles pain that it is mass produced doesn't mean perfection.catch a star dar.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/21/2005 10:06 PM  

  • your not being picky! I would have done the same thing!

    By Blogger me myself and i, at 10/23/2005 12:02 PM  

  • I might not be a needle snob. All other types of knitting snob.. but not needles. I mean, I did return those crap Crystal Palace wooden needles with evil metal joins... but I appear to be willing to knit with any circs on the planet. But still. I uphold your right to be picky about point. It's your hands and your time!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 10/25/2005 12:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home